Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P-90 Preambulations

P-90 Preambulations

What's the concensus on P-90s? Love em hate em? If you have them what kind of music do you play with them. The same music you play with regular singlecoils or do they bring something else out in your playing?
    Member: TDPRI, Strat-Talk, Squier-Talk, Gibson-Talk
    http://www.myspace.com/proazza

I'm actually curious myself.. I've read a lot of good reviews about P90's.. but I've never played a guitar with one on it before..

I actually thought about putting P90's in my coming JM build but in the end I went with single coil Novak soapbars instead...

I've got a P-90 in the neck slot on my #2 Tele, replacing a humbucker that used to be there. So far I haven't really figured out how to make it sing, but then I haven't tried very hard either. It's going to get put to the test with the band shortly. I'll either get something workable or I'll swap it out. I'll let you know.

I don't care for P90s much. The interesting thing about them is that the body rout fits a mini-humbucker without further modifications. With mini-HBs as a personal favourite, you can guess where that'll go in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I actually thought about putting P90's in my coming JM build but in the end I went with single coil Novak soapbars instead...
    How are the Novaks different from P-90s? Aren't P-90s what usually go in a Jazzmaster? Not a criticism just curious.

When I think P-90 I always think of Gibsons- the original JM pickups were P-90 similar but not exactly the same. I wouldn't be technically savvy enough to tell you all the differences but I'll bet one of these guys could. The original JM pickups were criticized by many as being very anemic.

Novak makes a distinction between a JMV (I assume vintage) and JM P-90 so there is definitely a difference in their specs; Ron Kirn strongly recommended that I go this route for pickups- advice I happily took!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    The original JM pickups were criticized by many as being very anemic.

Novak makes a distinction between a JMV (I assume vintage) and JM P-90 so there is definitely a difference in their specs; Ron Kirn strongly recommended that I go this route for pickups- advice I happily took!
    No arguing with Mr. Kirn on the subject but I got to play a friends JM way back in the 80's. Not sure what vintage it was but it had some age on it. Great guitar and it was far from anemic. But maybe that just shows how far pup technology has come. Maybe they would sound weak today compared to the newer ones. I know it kicked the crap out of the front end of my amp and that was no mean feat, as they say. I had a Polytone 90 watt with one 12" and it had more headroom than any amp I ever owned before or since. That thing was clean all the way to 10. Until the JM plugged in. It really punched it.
    Good luck with the Kirnmaster. Hope to see more pics soon.

Thanks- I had a vintage '65 Jazzmaster too- it was a really nice guitar and I regret selling it- but that regret is about to be undone...
    My old one wasn't a real powerhouse though, as much as I liked it. One thing I will say though is that I liked the sound of my vintage one more than the AVRI's and Classic Players I have tested. I found them to be too shrill. Pix coming as soon as I get 'em!

I have 2 guitars with P-90 pickups, I like the difference between the P-90's and humbuckers, especially when recording for some different variety in tones.

My Gibson Melody Maker has a single pickup in the bridge position-it really responds to the dynamics of your attack though. The first time I took it to a gig and plugged it into my tube amp-50 watt Valve King-it knocked me out with clean, full strummed tones and aggressive overdrive for leads.

The other P-90 guitar is a Gibson 'The Paul' from the late 1970's-it's a walnut neck and body with the 'Dirty Fingers' humbuckers originally. The walnut gave it more high end with the humbuckers and the P-90's give it a better overall sound to my ears.

Here is 'The Paul' refinished in white with P-90's and the Melody Maker----