Thread: Howdy from West Texas, y'all

Neophyte

Howdy from West Texas, y'all

Greetings to you all,

Just joined here with the A-T community, and I feel like it will be great fun.

Now, first off, I am not a gigging player. Just a hobby, really. I am 61, and my work is being an electronics technician - not into radio - audio was always my interest.

Not being a pro player or anything like that, I can't really relate to gigging players in lotsa ways, but I can be of help as a tech.

On my own, I kinda have to play guitar, due to an old injury in my index finger joint, which I have to keep exercised to keep it from locking up and making things miserable.

What I do for great fun is pick vocal parts by using sheet music. yay me

One other reason I joined up here is to talk with players about a passive distortion circuit I have developed, if that is not breaking any rules.

Where I live there is not alot of music industry, so I do most everything online, although that does not include social media. I am always researching - not socializing.

I have been several years working at developing my circuit, so is anyone been interested in such an item?

Thanks

Welcome aboard CT!

Can you show us some pictures of your guitar(s)?

dB

Neophyte
    Thanks a bunch,

Well, ok, I gotta take some - so give me a little while.

Thanks again.

"CT"

Hi CT, and welcome.

I for one am interested in hearing about your passive distortion circuit.
    Is it anything like the Black Ice device?
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Hey, CT, welcome to AxeTalk. We're always happy to have new members, and it's a privilege to have someone with some technical expertise joining us.

I'm very interested in hearing more about the passive distortion circuit. I don't use pedals, and I have limited interest in active electronics in guitars, but passive circuits intrigue me. I currently have two guitars with the Villex passive mid-boost, and have a long-term offset build on the go with the Bill Lawrence Q circuit and a StewMac Black Ice bought and sitting in the parts box. I hear mixed reviews about the Black Ice unit, so I'd like to hear more about your design.

And, as has been mentioned, we'd like to know more about your guitar(s). And, we love pictures!
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Neophyte
    Thank you,

Well, I do have an almost lengthy little write up of it, which I almost put in my introductory post.

In trying to explain this endeavor, I was just writing along and realized that I should only put this in if it were really appropriate. Well, I shall take a chance here and include it now.

************************************************** ***************************

2008 was a lousy time for me, Obama and his gang were making it worse, so I decided to specialize in electric guitar, as a tech more so than as a player. I knew kinda what they were on the inside, but not really did I totally understand it. I have been able to utilize the 'net almost daily and research the instrument, the player(s), and everything in between.

I came across the idea of passive fx, or rather, the near non existence of them. So I looked at Cave passive pedals, and the Black Ice device, and any and all things I could search and find out about on the 'net. I was studying the various passive circuits people and companies have come up with, finding out that, sure enough, few passive fx were out there. Most everything is about EQ schemes and switching circuits. A clone or two of the Black Ice turned up, and there is a passive "booster" out there.

While pondering these various circuits and configurations, I had an inspiring thought of a circuit of my own. I built it and it sounded interesting enough to develop it into the best it could be. It has taken several years, but now I have it, and I want to sell it, of course, but at the same time I still need to demo it to really decide if it is worth pursuing. The little bit of demoing I have done around here (in the desert of West Texas) has been promising.

To explain what I have developed, (working name is "Enchanter"), think of the Black Ice thingie, only larger. Mine is an epoxied cube a little over an inch cubed, with three wires to connect. The effect is very much like tube overdrive. It is NOT the Black Ice - mine is a different circuit entirely. Protected by the epoxy, totally designed to work with your classic electric guitar magnetic pickups, it makes for a cool option that you can dial or switch in with ease.

The epoxied module can fit in most electric guitar bodies, although some may be a little too thin. I have no choice but wire it into boxes for demo purposes. I have no plans to sell it wired into a box, although the owner can DIY, rather easily.

If it's effect is suitable, a player can stick with a solid state amp and get organic tube-like overdrive, and avoid the continuing hassles of owning a tube amp.

I have absolutely nothing against tube amps, and I would be stupid if I did. I have gone into the history and reality of tube amps, and what is real there - is continuing higher cost. For the poor man, an alternative can be nice, and perhaps my Enchanter can help.

I can say this: the basis for my distortion is germanium based, to get as close to the tube overdrive nature as possible. Guaranteed un-digital!

Now, the hookup for the Enchanter is the same basic idea like the Black Ice - just put it in place of the tone capacitor. There are three wires - one is ground common, and two others for two different but kinda similar distortion circuits. This means that two different control pots can be used.

I ended up with the two circuits in one package as I was developing it, and realized that instead of one or the other, I could go with the two together, as a way of providing some tonal variance. Really, it is a one trick pony - to make it work well, and NOT drop too much signal, I could not provide any variable control internally in the epoxy. Everything like that is done externally. And that is simple as well. The practical way to play with it is to actually wire it in "underneath" the tone cap (it's value will likely need to be changed accordingly). This will inhibit the bass tones from reaching the circuit, distorting in a more treble way.

One thing about the "Enchanter", and all of the time I have put into it, is that I worked at a couple of issues. The two issues are actually related, and it had to do with the difference in absolute strength between single coils and humbucker pickups and the ability of an instrument to get effect.
    The reduction in volume was related to this as well. The Enchanter does exhibit a minor volume drop - apparent because it is working the signal over - doing what it needs to get the effect. We do not get something for nothing. I do feel that Teles and Strats get appreciable results, although Les Pauls will definitely standout more.

All ya do is turn up the gain a bit.

The Enchanter also has some "character" due to the circuit I was inspired to develop.

OK, then. I hope that is not too much.

The final result is an epoxied cube, bigger than the Black Ice, but easy to wire in a guitar or a box.

I have a PDF attached that I made to show the basic schematic representation of it's implementation.

Figure 1 shows a basic two pickup setup. Note the little dotted square that encloses the tone pot and cap.

Figure 2 shows the Enchanter in place of the tone cap, although here there are two pots.

Figure 3 shows the option of wiring in a cap before the Enchanter, on either side. One or the other or both.

One would have to experiment and see what value(s) seems to work best for you.

Whew!

Well, chew on that awhile, and I'll carry on.

Thank you so very much for the interest.

Cybertechnico
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enchanter Usage.pdf  
    Last edited by cybertechnico; 06-19-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Neophyte
    Howdy Spellcaster,

I have replied to Doublewah with a bunch of info about my circuit. It was intriguing to find the field of passive pretty much wide open. The Villex booster seems to be pretty ingenious, and I do not know how it really works. The Black Ice looked obvious enough, and I have seen clones of it on eBay - little blue jobs.

I love the Bill Lawrence products. I put together several different guitars to learn tech work, and I have always gone for something from Bill&Becky for the pickups.

That began because I researched my S-1 and found his connection to everything.

If my circuit passes muster, I think the working (and other wise) player could do well with it. I am rooting for the common man, you know?

Thank you much,

Cybertechnico

Thanks for the quick response, CT. If I ever get chance to clear some space to do some modding, I would love to try the Enchanter.
    Please keep us posted.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Cool, welcome...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.