Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello and thanks for the warm welcome

Hey wardo1219, nice to meet you, and thanks for stopping by my intro too. I envy you your electronic skills. I acquire, better than I play, so I guess I'm more the collector type. They just keep following me home. I tend to read, more than I post, so please feel welcome & post lots. ☮

I don't know if anybody's mentioned this, Bill, but Leo Fender didn't play guitar, and he turned out some pretty fine guitars.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

So I have heard.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I am no Leo Fender but I bet he loved building guitars no more than I do. I was a contractor/home builder in an earlier life and I must say the feeling you get from building a guitar is as cool as building a house and that is saying something. After paint to wiring then assembly​ is cool but when you plug it in and fire it up it makes you want to hurry up and start all over.

Quote Originally Posted by wardo1219 View Post
    So I have heard.....................
    So, out of curiosity, when you build a guitar, do you do any of your setups based on how they feel to you, or have you a got a test-pilot guitar-playing friend who does your road-tests?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I level frets and intonate as you would on any good setup. I shoot for lower action then let on one of my sons give her a test ride. If they smile right away I know it's right, if not we work it out. I also have a few buddies that gig if I really get hung up on something. I have been threatening to learn to play for 20 years but that would take time away from working on them

How about for guys who like action, not high, but not real low as well?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I guess l figure I your set up low with no frets buzzing anywhere you go from there on your own after that I know everyone is going to be ok. To be honest and surely not trying to offend anyone, this is my first real contact with people who play "older" music. Although I enjoy nearly anything with a guitar in it and 3 of my 4 kids do as well , I really haven't had a great deal of contact with people who like music that is considered R& R or heavier. A good example might be Fleetwood Mac l love most of the catalog after Peter Green but not before. I think there was not enough ( long pause while thinking) edge to it. Even though I say edge I love the Monkees and let's say the ventures but neither are really edgey if you know what I mean. I can hear a song or song (usually a solo or the like) and get goose bumps. My wife thinks I am as nutty as squirrel **** but I think I just feel guitar playing and music in general somewhere in my soul. That may be one reason I don't play and really don't try to. It really sounds crazy if you a not speaking to the right people,which BTW I think I am but to me music is almost spiritual if played right then received in the right way and time. A great example is Lenny by SRV who in their right mind could hear that and not just stop what they were doing to listen. I may have said it to you before but this is all such a part of me I convinced my wife to name my daughter Abigail Rose or as we call her Abbie Rose. Not many people are crazy enough to name a kid after a Beatles albums. That was even my second choice​, Prudence was my first but Momma said hell no. The truly cool thing is my 17 year old daughter loves the Beatles and just about any kind of music you throw at her. She plays steel drums BTW. As I am typing on my phone I am struggling to find words to describe the passion I have for music. These conversations seem one sided until after the fact I guess. A thought just popped in my head while trying to wrap this up. If I could just pick up a guitar and play right now the first thing I woul play would just have to be some kind of wicked slide. The sound of a really good slide to me is as cool as an awesome metal solo. Arthritis is kicking in so wrapping up. I can say I would really like to sit down and have a meal with you guys and then talk all night about how and why music is so cool. So about any typos but as I said this is my phone and it is harder to preview so I am just hitting send. Please don't mistake my passion for Looney. Obsession is ok though

Well most people like their action lower than I do...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

What makes you say that. Do you play slide by chance