Thread: Give - Ron Kenoly

Give - Ron Kenoly

Hi guys,

I'm back again, with a new record of this song.This time it's all clean neck+mid through the Roland Cube.

There's something about this strat that makes me want to play it clean. Whenever I engage my dirt pedal, I just turn it off after 5 secs.

Anyway, Enjoy. Hope to improve more on my playing. I just feel so rusty.

One thing that probably makes you want to play this guitar clean is that you are using the neck pickup (or is that neck and middle- I can't tell from the video). I'll tell you that my strat's neck pickup sounds significantly better than any other combination

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    ...There's something about this strat that makes me want to play it clean. Whenever I engage my dirt pedal, I just turn it off after 5 secs...
    Are you playing through a tube or solid state amp?
    Tube amps should still retain some warmth when distortion is applied.
    Solid state amps can get brittle sounding pretty quick.
    Either way, me thinks you need more dirt pedals to find the right combination.

The guitar looks real pretty, by the way.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ...I'll tell you that my strat's neck pickup sounds significantly better than any other combination
    That's cause you play jazz.

If you were playing country tunes, or Mark Knofler tunes, you would want to get off that neck pickup once in a while.
    But for jazz or big band playing, a neck pickup is where one wants to be.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    That's cause you play jazz.
    Actually with regard to my strat it is something else- the neck pickup is a lot stronger sounding. There are times on my hollowbodies where I need to jump on the bridge pickup for the occasional rock song and they sound great with lots of jangle. The strat's bridge pickup is okay but I find it thin. Maybe I need to move the PU's higher.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Actually with regard to my strat it is something else- the neck pickup is a lot stronger sounding. There are times on my hollowbodies where I need to jump on the bridge pickup for the occasional rock song and they sound great with lots of jangle. The strat's bridge pickup is okay but I find it thin. Maybe I need to move the PU's higher.
    I think you need a couple Reilander pickups in the middle and bridge positions on that strat.

But yeah, you are probably right about the bridge pickup being too far from the strings.

The brightness of the bridge pickup has always been something for me to wrestle with. It is probably why I did not take to strats as a teenager. I think the one great design flaw of the original strat was that the tone controls do not affect the brightest pickup. That's why I always re-wire my strats with at least a mod to make the middle tone affect the bridge as well.

Yeah maybe I need MIke to do me up a set!

Hey thanks guys!

Hi dB! I was on the neck+mid pickup. I also agree with you that the strat neck pickup is the best sounding pickup of the three. however, I find the neck+mid pickup combo really good for this song.

I also don't like the strat's bridge. too thin, too trebly. but it works for most songs when I want to cut through, but it's not like a tele, where I can live on the bridge pickup forever. I have adjusted the bridge pickup significantly higher than the two because it's a bit weak for my taste and I have to balance all three pickups with their volume.

I'm using a solid state Roland Cube 40. Thats what we have right now, and until I can fix my Fender frontman 65R, Im stuck with it.

I think I need to get the pickups adjusted again. It's not responding well to my overdrive, and I feel that maybe something needs to change, Im not sure where to start though.

I don't have a Strat--but when I get to play one I use the neck pickup or neck & middle a lot--dirty or clean sound--they both work...
    There is something about playing one clean though.

So while a bit rusty, sounded good--keep at it & work out the rust
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.