Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DAW's and Plug-ins what's your set up?

DAW's and Plug-ins what's your set up?

I got started on home recording with Cakewalk's Sonar a few years back. Switched to Cubase for several reasons and shan't be making anymore changes, my old head can't take anymore new DAW learning curves. Favorite guitar software is currently NI Guitar Rig 4 Pro, favorite plug in and one I almost use on everything is Izotope Ozone 4.
    Guitar plugged into VoxTonelab LE no FX-stereo out into Yamaha 01X stereo out into Daw via Guitar Rig 4 Pro.

Been a few changes since I took this picture and space is at a premium

Last edited by Quietly; 08-07-2010 at 12:53 AM.
    http://www.gerrycooper.com/
    Gibson LP Standard.Cubase 5.5.1, XL Pro Quad Core System 2, Intel Core Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 4GB of RAM, HD's 1 X 500GB 2 X 1TB, XP Pro SP 3, Yamaha 01X, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Yamaha KX61. Kontakt 3.5, Symphobia, Stylus RMX, Ozone 4.

I recently started using Logic and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface. I use Logic's EQ, compression, delays, etc. I've started using Steve Slate drums (I think the drum sounds are excellent, the cymbals are okay).

I had been using a Pod or miking up a Deluxe Reverb, Mesa Boogie or a Vox AD120VTX for guitar. I'll probably get some guitar software now that I've upgraded my computer and DAW. I need to get some home mastering type software and work on my mastering skills.

I listened to your songs and your recordings sound really, really good! Do you think your mixes are much improved by using Izotope Ozone 4?

Quote Originally Posted by ScatMan View Post
    I recently started using Logic and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface. I use Logic's EQ, compression, delays, etc. I've started using Steve Slate drums (I think the drum sounds are excellent, the cymbals are okay).

I had been using a Pod or miking up a Deluxe Reverb, Mesa Boogie or a Vox AD120VTX for guitar. I'll probably get some guitar software now that I've upgraded my computer and DAW. I need to get some home mastering type software and work on my mastering skills.

I listened to your songs and your recordings sound really, really good! Do you think your mixes are much improved by using Izotope Ozone 4?
    Hello ScatMan without any doubt like I said I use it on every track and mix. Why don't you give it a trial run http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/ . Thanks for the kind words on the mixes.
    Gibson LP Standard.Cubase 5.5.1, XL Pro Quad Core System 2, Intel Core Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 4GB of RAM, HD's 1 X 500GB 2 X 1TB, XP Pro SP 3, Yamaha 01X, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Yamaha KX61. Kontakt 3.5, Symphobia, Stylus RMX, Ozone 4.

I've been recording for years and have been usually happy with how it would come out, but everything was two-dimensional.

After listening to your recordings, I checked out the Izotope Ozone 4 website, read the Ozone tools, tips and techniques manual and it seemed to take some of the mystery (to me) out of mastering.

I will be trying it out. Thanks again Quietly.

I've been recording for years and have been usually happy with how it would come out, but everything was two-dimensional.

After listening to your recordings, I checked out the Izotope Ozone 4 website, read the Ozone tools, tips and techniques manual and it seemed to take some of the mystery (to me) out of mastering.

I will be trying it out. Thanks again Quietly.
    My pleasure let us know how you get on.

Thanks for starting this thread, Quietly.
    Iím looking to get a new 'puter to dedicate to recording. My laptop is good, but with all the other stuff going on, it gets bogged down.
    First, Iím a Mac user. I despise apple. I worked for them and I saw the ugliness from the inside out and just made it out with my soul intact. Nevertheless, they still make the best OS and phones.
    I canít afford a MacPro, but with the recent upgrade to the iMac line, the processors will be more than capable of running Logic with many tracks without breaking sweat.
    That said, is there anyone using an iMac for a DAW? How are you taking care of extra storage space? FireWire? SATA? USB - is it fast enough?

I recorded one song that I abandoned using GarageBand to get my feet wet and it was a good learning experience. I realized I was approaching digital recording the same way I did when I was using my beloved Tascam 388.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tascam388.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	226

In a way, I prefer the old school way, but I know I have no choice but to embrace the new world.

I'd appreciate any input from those of us doin' it digital.
    Your humble Crooner.

"When the going gets weird, the weirdos turn Pro!"

I use Logic on a 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac with 4 GB Ram. I have a 1 TB 7400 RPM usb external drive for audio files.

My last project had 30 audio and midi tracks including a Kontakt sampler plugin (for drums) Kore player (for keyboards) and EastWest plugin (for strings). Smooth sailing, no problems.

It did crash a couple of times while I was working on the project, but only when I tried to load different drum sets into Kontakt while the project was playing.

I'm fairly confident that if I just stopped playback before I tried to change settings, it would not have crashed.

If Logic crashes though, it will save your project as a file named: xxx (crashed).logic. So even if you didn't save your project before it crashed, it does it for you.

btw: while I was working on the project, I had my email and browser open (to sometimes watch Youtube Logic instructional videos) and had no problems with the system getting bogged down.
    Last edited by ScatMan; 08-08-2010 at 11:36 PM.

I use a Presonus Audiobox and Studio One Artist DAW. We are building our retirement home up in the Adirondack Mountains and in that the equipment I will be setting up in my full service studio will be a Presonus 24x4x2 Live Mixer into the Presonus Firestudio and into the Studio One Artist DAW. Yes it is my hobby to record my stuff.
    ADK

I use Logic on a 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac with 4 GB Ram. I have a 1 TB 7400 RPM usb external drive for audio files.

My last project had 30 audio and midi tracks including a Kontakt sampler plugin (for drums) Kore player (for keyboards) and EastWest plugin (for strings). Smooth sailing, no problems.

It did crash a couple of times while I was working on the project, but only when I tried to load different drum sets into Kontakt while the project was playing.

I'm fairly confident that if I just stopped playback before I tried to change settings, it would not have crashed.

If Logic crashes though, it will save your project as a file named: xxx (crashed).logic. So even if you didn't save your project before it crashed, it does it for you.

btw: while I was working on the project, I had my email and browser open (to sometimes watch Youtube Logic instructional videos) and had no problems with the system getting bogged down.
    That's great info, Scatman. Thanks. It looks like I'm going to get one of minions I used to work with to use their employee discount on an iMac.
    It's nice to know that an iMac can handle a heavy load.
    Your humble Crooner.

"When the going gets weird, the weirdos turn Pro!"

Neophyte
    First post here.

I use Logic Studio on a MacPro 8 core 2.66ghz with 12GB RAM. I use an mBox 2 for IO on it. Plugins are Lounge Lizard, Komplete, EastWest and Trilian for the most part. I find that if I have a lot of tracks with a mix of Kontakt and East West that I need to bump the IO buffer to keep the CPU from pegging. If I am recording I have to drop it back down to reduce latency. Kind of a PITA. I like the results though.