Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recording-software/computer vs standalone units

... I spent a big chunk of the evening with my recent Tascam multitrack, and it's been a while since I did something like that--had fun.
    I've had some time to take a brief look & try at it, but not a block of time like tonight.
    Nothing worth posting yet.
    I was following the quick start guide to get the hang of how it works.
    And I just went direct so far.
    The rhythm needed some sweetening, but the bass didn't sound too bad and the lead was okay.
    Tomorrow I'm checking out the built in condenser mics.
    Then I'm borrowing some mics from friends to see how I like them before I go out & buy any.

So far so good, just felt like posting as it was cool.
    And I missed doing this.
    Using a 4 track on a smart phone just isn't the same--although that was okay in a pinch.

then I see how it works to transfer the songs onto a computer and work on them that way if I need to.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Tascam

I jumped in to late on this one.
    I have a DPo2CF
    JJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tascam 001.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	2303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tascam 003.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	2304  
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
    I jumped in to late on this one.
    JJ
    Never too late, JJ!

I never got a handle on this recorder and would sell or trade it for something is what I was thinking.
    {oh good,nobody knows what I'm thinking} ssssh,don't tell.

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

I got a copy of Ableton with my Fender amp & am interested in recording a bit. Is it better to record with a mic or use one of those USB interfaces?
    The correct number of guitars to own = N+1 where N is the current number of guitars that you own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
    I never got a handle on this recorder and would sell or trade it for something is what I was thinking.
    {oh good,nobody knows what I'm thinking} ssssh,don't tell.

JJ
    Well they stopped that model and now make the DP-03--which I would have preferred, but it costs about double the price of the DP-008, and not really realistic for me to just play around with, so I went with the DP-008 and don't regret it that way--I like it.

Now if I was seriously doing demos or writing songs for a band that was trying to get somewhere--then I'd have gone with the DP-03.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
    I got a copy of Ableton with my Fender amp & am interested in recording a bit. Is it better to record with a mic or use one of those USB interfaces?
    For more specifics in the case of computer recording software--maybe somebody else knows--but there's no harm in getting a guitar interface to go direct and a mic ot mic an amp--if you can afford it--good flexibility for sound, but ultimately--what are you going after?

I am really fond of my Johnson J-Station-its set up to resemble an amp head and works well for guitar and bass simulations with quite a few effects. You can find them on e-bay regularly, I have used mine for probably 10 years with no problems.

johnson J station in Musical Instruments & Gear | eBay
    "Minister of useless trivia-that says it all!"

Quote Originally Posted by anfontan View Post
    I am really fond of my Johnson J-Station-its set up to resemble an amp head and works well for guitar and bass simulations with quite a few effects. You can find them on e-bay regularly, I have used mine for probably 10 years with no problems.

johnson J station in Musical Instruments & Gear | eBay
    That looks cool.

I'm enjoying my Tascam, but my head is stuffed up today so my hearing is off, and it's tough to tell how things really sound. So recording isn't a great idea today.