Thread: Snake in the grass-my latest tune in progress

Snake in the grass-my latest tune in progress

I haven't posted anything new in forever, this is done on a Tascam DP-02 8 track with a Melody Maker on rhythm and first intro solo and Epi Les Paul for main solo, Roland XP-60 Keyboard, Yamaha YDD-60 for the drum beats, and Ibanez Jazz bass. Mixer was Yamaha MG 10/2 and the microphone is a Shure 58 Beta copy, surprisingly it sounded better than a condenser mic I tried first.
    Mostly first takes so its definitely rough, give it a listen and give a comment-help me beat it into shape.
    Thanx in advance!
    Tony

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12340228
    Last edited by anfontan; 05-28-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    "Minister of useless trivia-that says it all!"

Sounds promising, Tony, although it's always a bit tough to judge the merits based on a tough mix. One thing that struck me was that the vocals had too much presence (for my taste) - I wished for a reverb control I could turn up. I'm always impressed with the recording quality of your stuff.....The instruments sound articulate and well-defined

Is that your original music?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I like it.

Could use some more work, and more mixing--but it's a good start.

One question though--the site says, "Genre: Rock : Progressive Rock"
    But it sound more like good old 70's classic rock, with a touch of the blues in it.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Sounds promising, Tony, although it's always a bit tough to judge the merits based on a tough mix. One thing that struck me was that the vocals had too much presence (for my taste) - I wished for a reverb control I could turn up. I'm always impressed with the recording quality of your stuff.....The instruments sound articulate and well-defined

Is that your original music?
    Thanks so much for the listen and the comments, SpellCaster. I'm hoping to redo the vocals and the rhythm guitar, most likely the Les Paul solo as well-I just think the tones could be better. The Melody Maker has such a cool tone that I will probably keep that intro solo-it has a single P-90 in the bridge but has such a Killer tone!
    I'm trying to use more keyboard parts and mix them in with the guitars instead of layering tons of guitar tracks.
    I need to transfer the Tascam tracks to my computer and use the Cool Edit software to edit, add effects and panning. Yeah, its all original-writing and performance-done on the Tascam.
    Thanks again for tour time, hope the Canadian weather is as nice as it is here-I need to refinish a couple of Teles that have a few dings-nice day for painting!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I like it.

Could use some more work, and more mixing--but it's a good start.

One question though--the site says, "Genre: Rock : Progressive Rock"
    But it sound more like good old 70's classic rock, with a touch of the blues in it.
    Thanks Zontar, Its definitely in the early stages-I consider it a beta mix and the tracks aren't processed much so far.
    Soundclick defaults all songs posted as "Genre: Rock : Progressive Rock"-even songs with my bluegrass band are called Progressive Rock.