Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC Mic Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ...Always wanted a Blue mic anyway!
    I smell GAS...
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    Blue mic's make some impressive usb mics. They also have a great stereo condenser for iphones.
    Blue Microphones | Desktop USB The snowball is a good quality versatile mic.
    I agree with MR, The Blue Ball is a good plug-and-play usb Mic (Mono)

I use it for alot of things, most recently plugged it into the Wife's Surface 2 Pro Tablet and recorded that vid of Me playing the original version of Auld Ang Syne that I posted in the Happy new year thread.

You can pick one up on ebay for 20-50 bucks.
    (I won mine for .99 cents from a poor ebayer, and paypalled him 40.99 lol)

FWIW
    I am biased towards all Blue Mics (the older ones, especially) after Having the luxury of recording professionally with just about every mic made, including the Telefunken 251...The Blue Bottle with the B6 Capsule is the easiest mic I've ever tracked with, and when I helped My friend Move, we stopped at His Studio to get some shipping blankets, and the place was a mess.

Guitars & amps all over the place, and My beloved Bottle and it's twin were being used to track guitars.
    I asked about it later and instantly regretted not taking a picture of the set up,
    as it was Mr. Navarro tracking Guitars for the Jane's Addiction Album.

The ball has 3 settings but the Omnidirectional setting worked out best, although it did capture the room sound on the video I posted.
    Mic on the surface 2 Pro sounded tinny, compared to the Ball, which was actually pretty close to what My ears heard (minus the Youtube Compression)
    "The problem with the internet (and e-mails) is you cannot hear someones voice, see them smile, nor notice a tongue planted firmly in cheek" - Andy Fuchs

gonna check these Blue mics tomorrow! I think we have a winnah!

The reason I mentioned the story about the Blue Bottle,
    is that it has it's own built-in shock isolation system, which allows it to be placed in non traditional setups
    (like stuffed down into a marshall speaker cab)

I think the ball also has this very low handling noise
    (although they do make a 30's - style shock housing for about the cost of the Mic)

Also, the ball is larger and heavier than one would expect, about 4" in diameter.
    the older models have a slightly different stand (adjustable about 3" in height)
    & you plug it into a windows usb port on XP,7 or 8, and it is prettymuch good to go.
    (it took M about a minute to set it up on her Surface 2 Pro)

BUT - if You'd rather use Your own Mic,
    Blue makes a XLR to USB adapter/ a to d /pre, called the Icicle.
    it's about the same price as a used ball,here's the link to it.

Blue Microphones Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp
    Last edited by Forecaster; 01-17-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    "The problem with the internet (and e-mails) is you cannot hear someones voice, see them smile, nor notice a tongue planted firmly in cheek" - Andy Fuchs

Okay I finally bought something. It is the Shure SM58x2u. I got the package for only $125 so basically it means I get another Shure for our stage setup for the normal price and the adapter only cost $25 additional.

What I will do is take one of my cheaper mics that is unsuitable for stage use and use that on the PC. The Shure goes right into the stage equipment bag. Hopefully I will have time to try this out today.

When you have the time, compare the cheap mic to the new Shure with the PC.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Yeah first I have to figure the thing out!

I tried to get sound to pass to Finale for about half an hour today to no avail. I have no idea how to do this stuff.