Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Mic Suggestions

PC Mic Suggestions

I haven't had a microphone attached to my PC for ages and I would like to buy one now.

What I would use it for would be trying to capture music into the notation program Finalé to simplify transcription.

I do have several Shure SM-57's in the house. Am I better off buying a PC mic or is there some way to rig the Shure up (I assume you'd only have to step down the connector to 1/8")?

Otherwise recommendations for a decent PC mic would be appreciated.

I have a Behringher Q802 USB mixer with a USB connection, I'd highly recommend it over a PC mic any day.
    The correct number of guitars to own = N+1 where N is the current number of guitars that you own.

I agree with BOFH. A quick Google shows the Q802 at $80 at Amazon:
    Amazon.com : Behringer Xenyx Q802USB USB Audio Mixer : Unpowered Audio Mixers : Musical Instruments
    If that little unit had FX, I would pick one up, just as a spare.

You can even go smaller, for $50:
    Amazon.com: Behringer 302USB Premium 5-Input Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamp and USB/Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

Or you can go up. Behringer have lots of small mixers. And here is a great price on an Alesis mixer. I have the (discontinued) firewire version of this:
    Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX | Sweetwater.com

Any of these little mixers would be put to good use by your musical family over the years.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Blue mic's make some impressive usb mics. They also have a great stereo condenser for iphones.
    Blue Microphones | Desktop USB The snowball is a good quality versatile mic.
    Last edited by Mreilander; 01-16-2014 at 12:22 PM.

for the SM 57's, you can get pretty much any audio interface with XLR's. I have an old Mbox2 pro that suits all my needs. I don't know what is out these days, but I'm pretty sure Maudio would have something that is good quality and affordable. It will also give you the ability to record into a DAW.

Thank you for the info- this is obviously an area I know nothing about!

If I understand correctly, it sounds like I have two options:

1- buy a USB designed mic (is there an XLR to USB type cable?)
    2- throw my existing mic through a USB mixer. I have an old Mackie mixer and I assume you can't get connectors to make this a USB output?

Given these options I sort of learn towards the USB mic only because it is less stuff sitting around. I don't plan to do any recording just now.

I just checked and there are XLR to USB- could I simply use that? Or do I need special SW too?

I don't know about the XLR to USB. Behringer has this:
    Behringer: U-CONTROL UCA202
    It is an inexpensive option. Use it with your SM58 and Mackie board.

Mreilander's Blue USB mic is probably your cleanest option. It will be a dedicated PC mic, and you won't be wanting to tear everything down for gigs and such.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Something like this would suit your needs, Shure X2u USB Interface

I would avoid the ones that go from USB to XLR on one cable like these ones.USB Male to XLR Female Microphone USB MIC Link Cable (304cm-Length) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Last edited by Mreilander; 01-16-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Mreilander's Blue USB mic is probably your cleanest option. It will be a dedicated PC mic, and you won't be wanting to tear everything down for gigs and such.
    VERY good point. No mess solution and I don't have to worry about leaving a mic at home for the gigs. Always wanted a Blue mic anyway!