Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recording software

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ...You don't think the quality from either one of these would be good enough for a demo, DW?
    I am sure that either of these could be used to record a sell-able CD, if the person operating them had the knowledge, experience and ears. And if the music recorded was sell-able, of course. :-)

What I was trying to say is that recording your band solely with the R24's onboard mics would not likely give you something you could sell. (But it WOULD give you usable critique recordings.)
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

If I were to buy the DP24 or R24 I definitely wouldn't be using onboard mics- a small Zoom would be adequate for that kind of recording and we get plenty of critique material from live performances because our drummer videos every performance.

So this is more about recording a good quality demo where I can trim individual levels and have no background noise. Considering there is no conceivable way I could lay down a demo with 6-10 tracks for less than $500 in a studio, buying the gear seems like a viable option. The other thing is it would be much more convenient for me to do it at home because I wouldn't have to arrange all these multi-hour trips in a studio. We could do it a little at a time and learn it over time. I certainly like the $450 price point more than $1500+ for a full blown digital mixer with recording capability.

It seems like both the DP24 and R24 are very similar head to head and that Tascam's product is their answer to the Zoom or vice versa.

After checking both units out I decided to go with the Tascam DP24. Just brought it home last night and hopefully we can start messing around with it after work. I am also going to look for tutorial videos.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    After checking both units out I decided to go with the Tascam DP24. Just brought it home last night and hopefully we can start messing around with it after work. I am also going to look for tutorial videos.
    I really like Tascam's stuff--and the DP24 is a nice one.
    With the horns & stuff it is a great option...
    I find their stuff intuitive (Doesn't mean everybody will--but I do)
    Enjoy!

Let us know how it goes.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

We started messing with it already. First we did 8 tracks one after the other just clapping or whistling. Then we suspended a mic over my daughter's drums and miced my guitar amp onto 2 simultaneous live tracks. Sounds good so far. We have only done raw recordings so far and not any mixing tweaking. That is th next thing I will look at.

You and the gang are gonna have fun!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

dB, I just had a look for prices on the Tascam DP24 and it appears to be a discontinued item.
    I take it that this means that you got a great price on it!
    (Knowing you, you did.)

Or did you mean the current upgraded model, the DP24SD?
    Last edited by doublewah; 02-10-2017 at 01:50 AM.

Actually it is the DP24SD...

Yeah it already is fun- even my wife (who has never been interested in music gear in any way) has shown some interest in learning how to use it. Some times I buy a tech toy and get really frustrated with how to use it and the thing sits around and gathers dust. This on the other hand does seem easy enough to use that with some trial and error over a couple weeks, we will probably have enough of an idea on how to use it that we can start laying down real tracks. Up until then I am going to run mics all over the room and just focus on capturing the audio from different instruments before we go all the way.

One thing I am going to probably have to think about are drum mics. We can use my SM57's but there are probably better options that are fairly reasonable so I don't need to tie all my instrument mics up

I've been out of the loop for awhile, but I picked up an MBOX2 pro audio interface way back in the day that had 6 ins and 8 outs, plugged into my mac book and came with pro tools light. I found it much easier to use it with garage band than PT... it's a little more intuitive. I never really liked the stand alone work stations... not because of anything to do with quality, but because it's basically having to learn a new operating system. I already know how to use a mouse and keyboard, lol.

Something like this http://www.avshop.ca/recording/audio-interfaces/tascam-us-16x08-usb-audio-midi-interface
    Along with your choice of DAW would be a very robust and expandable system

Just realized I missed half the posts talking about you already getting the unit, but if you ever want to look at computer based DAW's, here's a good place to start https://music.tutsplus.com/articles/...s--audio-11773
    Last edited by Mreilander; 02-10-2017 at 12:17 PM.