Thread: Microphone windscreens

Microphone windscreens

In order to start recording I just bought 4 more SM57's and 2 Electrovoice mics, taking my total of mics to 11. Problem is, Shure doesn't send you windscreens with the mics anymore so I now need to buy a bunch of windscreens. Personally I think that $15 for the Shure A2WS is way too much- I just need simple windscreens that slip on, not those with the locking metal rings.

In searching the internet I am not really finding reasonable windscreens that fit this mic- most of the screens I see are ball type like SM58. Sam Ash had a 5 pack of Windtech SA5 windscreens in the store than looked like they would fit but they were in assorted colours which would be embarrassing and distracting on stage.

What windscreens do you guys use? I'd buy a 5 or 10 pack, but they can't be ball end type and I don't want them to be so very cheap quality that they rip as soon as I slip it on the mics.

dB

I heard the main difference between the SM 57 & 58 was the ball end windscreen.
    So I was thinking that--then I saw you don't want that--I have no other frame of reference to advise you.
    I use my mics w/o windscreens...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

A pair of nylons and a coat hanger will do the job for a directional screen until you find one. You might have better luck searching for "foam pop filter". The assorted colors are to color code the channel strips in certain scenarios. You should be able to find all black though.

Looks like a good fit. $3 each seems rather expensive though.

How about these?
    Lots 10pcs Black Handheld Stage Microphone Windscreen Foam Mic Cover Karaoke DJ | eBay

Or these?
    Lots 10pcs Black Handheld Stage Microphone Windscreen Foam Mic Cover Karaoke DJ | eBay

All three of these choices are coming from China, so you will be waiting 3 or 4 weeks for them. Maybe you will find some locally for more money and will buy them because you need them sooner than a month. But I would order some from China anyway, because these are going to get lost or torn over the next while.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Looks like a good fit. $3 each seems rather expensive though.

How about these?

Or these?

All three of these choices are coming from China, so you will be waiting 3 or 4 weeks for them. Maybe you will find some locally for more money and will buy them because you need them sooner than a month. But I would order some from China anyway, because these are going to get lost or torn over the next while.
    The problem is... those filters are all made for vocal mics, which are typically a larger diameter than the 1-1/4" diameter of the sm57. Most filters, like the ones you linked to have a 1-1/2" diameter bore and will fall right off the 57

Thanks for the responses!

The coloured windscreens might be for colour coding but I do that with electrical tape on my cables so you can't see it from the audience. We don't have that many gigs that require us to go through a PA but when we do I think that coloured windscreens would raise eyebrows in a bad way.

The Rodes look like the right thing although I wish I could find something that not shipping from China because I actually need them. I will enquire as to whether he will combine ship or not.

DW, I wish I could buy those vocal mic covers because they are easier to find... I bought a couple EV Cobalt 4 mics that just came today- they might fit the larger windscreens but most of my mics are SM57's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    The problem is...
    Pity...
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.