Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Double Tracking...

Live Double Tracking...

Hmm, not sure what to call it--but I think that fits.
    In my experiments of recording on my Tascam digital recorder--since i have two inputs I can use to record at the same time I have been experimenting with this.

Recently did some recording with my 12 string where I recorded it with a mic & also had a contact mic on the guitar's top (It doesn't have a built in pickup--but that would work as well.)
    SO you get the mic sound & pickup type sound--and then can blend them together--maybe pan them --at least slightly.

I've also done this with my bass as my Fender Rumble amp has an XLR output that doesn't shut off the speaker--so I can put a mic on the amp & also record a direct sound with the amp settings.

Also with a delay with stereo outputs I can have one output to an amp that is micced & the other goes in direct.
    It allows for some cool amp sounds & for some nice clear cleans or at least different timbres...

I know pros d these & other similar things.
    Anybody else?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Sounds like a cool idea- and certainly easy enough to try

It has been done since multi track was a possibility--thanks to Les Paul & others...

but it is something we often don't think about.

Of course you can use more than one mic as well--but the mic sound vs a direct sound can add another dimension as well.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

One day I will have to try micing a trumpet with 2 different mics to see if different tone comes through

This also serves as a reminder that despite having bought the Tascam I STILL haven't had a chance to actually record the band

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    One day I will have to try micing a trumpet with 2 different mics to see if different tone comes through
    Mic placement also makes a difference.

This also serves as a reminder that despite having bought the Tascam I STILL haven't had a chance to actually record the band
    Then get with it!

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Then get with it!
    I know. I want to do it but something always seems to get in the way.

I know. I want to do it but something always seems to get in the way.
    That's why I set aside time to do it--and even if other stuff gets in the way I still get something done.
    Las time I had other things in the way--but kept at it--and did get a fair bit done...

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    That's why I set aside time to do it--and even if other stuff gets in the way I still get something done.
    Las time I had other things in the way--but kept at it--and did get a fair bit done...
    problem for us is we'd need to do a scratch track first. That means getting the whole band together at my house