Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pedalmania?

Looks cool FC--could be a lot of fun, or a pain with too many options--but I'd like to give it a shot, and give it the benefit of the doubt that it's a lot of fun.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Forecaster View Post
    ...it makes Your amp sound like a Dumble?...
    But does it make your amp FEEL like a Dumble?

I have never had the pleasure, but from what I remember about interviews with SRV and/or Eric Johnson, as well as GitPlayer reviews, Dumble's have huge dynamic range. More than many guitar players are comfortable with, and more than most other amps on the market.
    So if that pedal really offers the transient attack (maybe that's what the accent knob is for?) that the Dumble offers, as well as Dumble tone, then it is worth looking at. Otherwise it's not much better than amp-modelling in my books. And Youtube videos are not able to demonstrate feel.

FC, if you get chance to play through one of these pedals, please let me know if you find it has more dynamic range than other amps.
    Also, if you have played (or anyone else has played) through Dumble amps and you think this is a bunch of hooey, let me know that as well. My perception of Dumble amps is based on what I read in the 90s.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Boss does make pedals modelled after a couple of Fender amps.
    The 65 Deluxe Reverb amp and the 59 Bassman.
    While they aren't exact, they do capture some of the flavour.
    If I see one at a decent price (Probably used) I just might get one.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

For what it's worth, I really like my 65 Deluxe Reverb amp simulator. I've never gone the tube amp route, so I'm not accustomed to how they feel. I do like the way they sound, but at a tenth the weight and no maintenance issues, the simulators are so much easier for a middle-aged back to deal with. Still, one day, I'm going to have to splurge. In a completely different direction, what did you decide to do with some of the iffy pedals, Zontar? I have to agree that Boss' phaser pedal is rather unusable because there really only one setting that does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Boss does make pedals modelled after a couple of Fender amps.
    The 65 Deluxe Reverb amp and the 59 Bassman.
    While they aren't exact, they do capture some of the flavour.
    If I see one at a decent price (Probably used) I just might get one.
    I've had both of the BOSS pedals....the 59 Bassman and the 65 Deluxe Reverb. I've kept the 59 Bassman pedal and it does put a kind of tweedy edge on the sound of my Twin Reverb when I want it. The 65 Deluxe Reverb pedal. I found less useful. I thought that I'd like the idea of having reverb available when I still had my 66 Vibrochamp, but the Vibrochamp's gone now and the pedal wasn't getting much use. I ended up trading it for a couple of sets of tuners, but if I'd had any idea that somebody on the forum might have been interested, I probably would have gone that route.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Martian View Post
    what did you decide to do with some of the iffy pedals, Zontar? I have to agree that Boss' phaser pedal is rather unusable because there really only one setting that does it for me.
    The only thing iffy about some of my pedals is that they don't suit what I play now--although once upon a time they did.

They still may get sold or traded for a small tube practice amp or mics, etc...

I'm a hard sell on any pedal sounding like any tube amp.

That being said, I wish I had the kind of bread for the one with the jazz switch.
    Pete Thorn's reviews are always very helpful to Me.

Andy Fuchs has a clutch of really nice pedals that supposedly imitate the preamp section of a dumble.
    "The problem with the internet (and e-mails) is you cannot hear someones voice, see them smile, nor notice a tongue planted firmly in cheek" - Andy Fuchs

It's also entirely possible you'll find a use for them later.

I understand your feelings on amp simulation, FC; I was skeptical, too. I also know the digital vs. analog argument from both sides. From the maintenance side, ease of use and weight concerns, what the sims lack in feel (to which I'm largely unaccustomed) and sounds (which is less than most people can hear), they still sound pretty damn good. I showed up for an environmental fundraiser with my cyclone FDR-1 and a couple of cables and rode my bicycle there. That's convenience! I'm certain at some point I'll decide exactly what I want in a tube amp and have my friend and neighbor Ace Pepper build it. It'll be a stay-at-home queen because when I finally decide, I'll probably be to damned old to carry it.

And to think this started when I bought a couple of cheap pedals--and here we have expensive ones.

Well, hat's what pedalmania is all about.

I'm okay with digital, and I'm okay with solid state and I'm okay with tubes.

I like them all.
    I own them all.