Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Solid Case For Doing It Wrong

A Solid Case For Doing It Wrong

Cool column from Premier Guitar about pedal order.

As to this part-
    I’ve always put my wah before distortion, because I love sweeping through all those harmonics and having the distortion pedal exaggerate them even further. Now, the fine folks in Portishead seem to prefer the wah after distortion. That’s also a great choice, because it allows the wah to process all the frequencies coming out of the dirt pedal for a very vocal sound.
    I say--put distortion both before & after
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I go overdrive,phasor,delay.
    I don't use effects very much.If you use them all the time they don't have much effect !

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

guitar > wah > distortion/gain/fuzz > chorus, delay, reverb > amp
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

If I only had one wah and one fuzz, I would put the wah first. But because I have more, I agree with ZT here.

EH B9 (organ pedal) >
    Zoom MS-100BT (which can be many different pedals; up to six at a time, but is distortion to go into wah) >
    AMT Japanese Girl Wah (smaller than a BOSS pedal, with 3-position frequency switch)
    LocoBox (distortion) > BOSS Super OverDrive > BOSS Blues Driver >
    BOSS Digital Delay > DOD Chorus

I plan on building a switchbox to switch the MS-100BT from it's present position to the end of the chain, and back again.

I also have a smaller pedal-case that I can take just the essentials...

BOSS Super OverDrive > AMT Japanese Girl Wah > Zoom MS-100BT (as distortion[s], chorus and delay, etc)
    Last edited by doublewah; 02-11-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Well the title of the column is to get it "wrong"--and the column itself peaks of experimenting--which I highly recommend
    I normally don't use all my pedals at once, and often play without them--but when I set them up (And if I ever do get or build a pedal board, I'd use them more often--but I want a board that's easily adaptable and changeable.)

I've done stuff like DS-1>AW-3>Empress Distortion>DOD FX53 (Distortion)>Echo/Delay>amp
    and I also have an EQ, chorus and volume pedal.
    The volume pedal tends to go first, and the EQ gets moved around--as does the chorus--but they tend to come later, but before the delay.

But i love messing around with them--and the order of the distortion pedals as well--but normally the DOD is the last of the distortion pedals.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Yeah, I would prefer to have delay after chorus. But sometimes I run stereo into two amps, and I don't like the way my BOSS delay does stereo. One side wet, one side dry. I know that is common, but it's not what I want. And I stopped using my BOSS chorus and went back to the DOD chorus for the same reason. The BOSS chorus, in stereo, is wet/dry. No thank you. I want stereo chorus to be a swirly soupy panning thing.
    So with the DOD chorus last, when in stereo I hear delay equally out of both amps, and chorus (when on) is swirly.

Once I build this switch-box and can switch my MS-100BT to the end of the chain (or not), I will have lots of options of how a chorus or delay will behave in stereo.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

But to be more in the spirit of this thread...

I agree about experimenting. Some of the greatest guitar sounds were gotten by Jimi Hendrix experimenting in the studio. He wasn't wasting time trying to recreate Jeff Beck's or Eric Clapton's sounds. He was too busy trying to get the sounds he heard in his head.

Now it seems we have an entire industry of people teaching other people how to sound like Van Halen or David Gilmour, or ... Hendrix.
    Youtube is full of this stuff. Doesn't anyone write music anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Yeah, I would prefer to have delay after chorus. But sometimes I run stereo into two amps, and I don't like the way my BOSS delay does stereo. One side wet, one side dry. I know that is common, but it's not what I want. And I stopped using my BOSS chorus and went back to the DOD chorus for the same reason. The BOSS chorus, in stereo, is wet/dry. No thank you. I want stereo chorus to be a swirly soupy panning thing.
    So with the DOD chorus last, when in stereo I hear delay equally out of both amps, and chorus (when on) is swirly.

Once I build this switch-box and can switch my MS-100BT to the end of the chain (or not), I will have lots of options of how a chorus or delay will behave in stereo.
    This reminded me that when I have two outputs from a delay and I'm going into two different amps I have added effects after the signal's been been split--for example I have had it set up where the original note is clean, but the echo is very distorted--or the other way around.
    Not something I'd use all the time--but for the right song--it would sound cool.

That's the kind of experimenting we're talking about!

I'm still a proponent of guitar>amp. But, if you're going to use pedals, I think there's not going to be a hard and fast rule that works for everybody and for everybody's gear. Too many variables, different guitars, different pedals, and different amps. I won't get into a cork-sniffing discussion about the term "amp takes pedals well", but depending on the combination of gear, the results could differ wildly.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."