Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NPD

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Well I don't use pedals (or any effects for that matter) so probably I wouldn't be able to do much with it.

The only application I would ever have is that often we don't bring a bass player in for gigs so I suppose I could play bass lines on the guitar but I generally compensate for no bass by darkening the tone on the neck pickup and playing swing style chunking. However to use an octave pedal would then require me to use a bass amp and I already bring a lot of equipment to gigs so anything that complicates my setup would probably be most unwelcome!
    I like it to fill out the sound of the guitar or bass more than a substitute for a bass--maybe a 12 string sound
    It also sounds great with the sub octaves on a mandolin.
    Last edited by zontar; 03-17-2017 at 12:08 AM.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Sounds cool...

It is.
    I try not to be a slave to my pedals though.
    I play often without them, and with different combinations.

It's away to challenge myself to get the results I want without them, but also to allow them to spark some creativity.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I try not to be a slave to my pedals though.
    Yeah certainly the playing is more important than the effects

I've heard guitar players that sound amazing with effects, but hand them an acoustic or have them play clean--and they're lost.
    I often add effects in my head & just play an electric unplugged--but I also like to plug in & play with effects as well.

Of course playing for others they can't hear the sound in your head--and how cool it is.

I've heard guitar players that sound amazing with effects, but hand them an acoustic or have them play clean--and they're lost.
    Yep, I know a lot of people like this too, including many who can't play anything without distortion

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Yep, I know a lot of people like this too, including many who can't play anything without distortion
    I went through a phase where I always played with distortion--not because I couldn't play without it--I just really liked it...
    But it was a phase.

Important to have SOME technical ability too (at least to me)

I've heard guitar players that sound amazing with effects, but hand them an acoustic or have them play clean--and they're lost...
    And I've heard guitar players that sound amazing with an acoustic, but hand them an electric or have them play with effects--and they're lost...
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I think I wouldn't know what to do if you gave me a guitar and I was forced to play with effects...