Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NPD

NPD

One pedal I've wanted for some time, but either had other things I wanted more (Or other stuff come up)--is an octave&/or pitch type pedal.

I've tried a lot of them out over the years--and some I didn't get because they tracked poorly. Some tracked well at some pitches, but poorly in other places.
    Some were noisy.
    Some have an auto-tune type sound to them--at least on some settings.
    Some were good, but too expensive for me. (Sure I could save up longer, etc--but I didn't feel right about spending over $200 (& in some cases over $300 + up) when I primarily play at home.)

So recently I saw some online reviews for the TC Electronics SubNUp pedal--and it looked interesting (& sounded great)
    So I checked it out --on two different occasions--with different guitars & basses.

It fit what I wanted--so yesterday I picked one up.

I just got it, so there is that "Honeymoon" period we sometimes have with gear.
    But it has a classic mode (Older style Octaver where if you play 2 or more notes together you confuse it), a Polyphonic mode--where you can play chords or single notes--and best of all--the Tone Print mode--where you can download an app to add a third setting--it comes with one that is an organ kind of sound.
    The app & the sounds are free too--so that's cool.
    They also have an editor for it to create your own sounds or tweak existing ones--I have't done much with that yet though)
    But with the sounds available (You can switch them via the app& a smartphone) this pedal will give me a lot of variety in what sounds I can get--so that was a selling point for me.

I'll review it once I've had it for a while & used it more--but it is a cool pedal--and GAS is subsiding a bit (Although a pedalboard would be a great next purchase for me)

I haven't tried it on my Mandobird yet--but that should be cool too.
    Last edited by zontar; 11-27-2016 at 03:42 AM.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

congrats- tell us what you think!

The octave pedals I have tried all sounded quite artificial and were probably not suitable for anything I would ever do- glad you found a good one

More pedals!
    Cool!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    congrats- tell us what you think!

The octave pedals I have tried all sounded quite artificial and were probably not suitable for anything I would ever do- glad you found a good one
    I have found that many do--and while any octaver might require a change in phrasing or picking to sound better--this one sounds great over all--but some settings may not work for everything. and it works for how I play.
    Some other had good sound, but didn't suit my playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    More pedals!
    Cool!
    It is--but one of these days I need to make or buy a pedalboard.
    And maybe sell a few of them that I rarely use.

The Tone Print aspect of his pedal (& some other TC Electronic pedals) may make some of them redundant.

Of course if I sell some pedals I would probably use hat money to buy other pedals or a pedalboard.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Well it's time to give a fuller review of this pedal.
    I've played around with it at home & used it in church twice (Once with bass once with guitar)
    The time with bass we didn't have a keyboard that day--just me & one guitar--and I used it to flesh out the sound--and it worked well.
    Some of the sounds I though worked well at home didn't wok as well once I was playing with the guitar player--but that is not uncommon--what sounds great in one place may not sound great everywhere. Part of that was due to the songs we were playing as well & some due to the guitar player's sound.
    But I was able to quickly dial in another sound that worked well.
    The time on guitar we had a smaller group as well--and it fleshed out the sound with one of the keyboard type sounds--that time worked well.

So basically there are three setting for sound--the first two are more straightforward octaver sound--the pedal has two sub octaves & one octave up--plus a dial for your original sound as well--you can turn any of them all up, all down (off) or somewhere in between.
    Those two sounds are Classic & Poly--the classic is the old octaver sound--where playing two or more notes may confuse it--and it doesn't work that well--unless you want to do that--which some can use to their advantage.
    The Poly setting will allow you to track two or more notes together--and it works great--full barre chords track very well--I didn't hear any lag time.

Bu the two settings aren't identical in sound when playign single noes--they both have their own style--and I like both--and have switched between the two for different songs.

If that is all this pedal did I would still love it.

the Tone print setting is a lot of fun and expands what this pedal does.
    It's easy to use as well--although you need a smart phone for that--so some here wouldn't be too into that part of it.

I feel the Toneprint options/settings need a review of their own--so I will call this part 1 and later will post the Toneprint review as part 2.

Sounds like you are enjoying it!

I am enjoying it.

the Toneprint options allow you to change the sounds even more--and sometimes with different parameters.
    There is a default Toneprint that is already loaded--and it is a keyboard type sound--and still gives you octaves.
    With some tweaking it can almost sound like Blackmore & Lord jamming on some old Purple tunes. (Which is something I like any way)

But with the parameters you can adjust it can be more than that.

You can load different Toneprints (Or sounds/settings) with a smartphone or by connecting to a computer (The cable for that is included with the pedal--so if you buy one used--make sure to get the cable or a discount ). There's a free app to do that with the smartphone option.

It is a little frustrating though that I can't change the sounds with my bass with active pickups, but otherwise the smartphone process is easy--you just put the phone's speakers over a pickup, push a button--the light on the pedal flashes & then changes colour when it's done.

Then you can set the dials if needed & play.
    So what else could you get?
    Different keyboard sounds, a couple of different flanger sounds, an octave fuzz, smoother sounds, ones that give you even more low end, or more highs, wet sounds, electronic sounds & so on.

There are some I doubt I'll ever use, but more than enough to keep me busy.
    You can also save sounds you would use more often to a Favorites section to make them easier to find--which would be even better if you have more than one pedal with Toneprints pedal.
    You can also download (For free) a Toneprint editor & tweak these sounds yourself.
    I haven't used that so much--but they have instructions you can read or view over a video.
    It works easily. But I am enjoying the sounds it comes with--but will definitely spend some time editing new ones as well.
    They also have added some new sounds since I got the pedal.

Is this pedal for everybody?
    Probably not--but it does what I wanted out of an octave pedal--and then some, and as i mentioned above I have tried more than a few...

awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    awesome!!!
    I wonder how it would work in your context?

Well I don't use pedals (or any effects for that matter) so probably I wouldn't be able to do much with it.

The only application I would ever have is that often we don't bring a bass player in for gigs so I suppose I could play bass lines on the guitar but I generally compensate for no bass by darkening the tone on the neck pickup and playing swing style chunking. However to use an octave pedal would then require me to use a bass amp and I already bring a lot of equipment to gigs so anything that complicates my setup would probably be most unwelcome!