Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NPD

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Well at least now you know--and that is why I always like to try a pedal out before buying it...
    I think this will be my last pedal buy. I had really high hopes for this. I've been looking for something to renew my interest in playing (which has been flagging for a while). Instead, I found myself avoiding picking up the guitar because I felt that if I did decide to play, I would feel obligated to try out the pedal before I decided to sell it.

I did spend a bit of time with it the last couple of days, but my initial feelings about it haven't changed.

I did make one interesting discovery. After reading a thread on TDPRI about cables, I began to wonder if maybe my 30 foot curly cord was part of the problem. I ended up experimenting with different more expensive patchcords, and even put the pedal on top of the amp so I could use an 8" Fender Custom Shop tweed cable directly into the amp. I also tried using the wireless to bypass the cable issue altogether. What I found is that my high-test straight cord sounded slightly better into the pedal than the curly cord, but neither sounded as good as plugging directly into the Twin. The noise appears to be inherent whenever any kind of a pedal....even if it's supposed to be true bypass....is inline between the guitar and amp. What's weird is that when I plug directly into the amp, the curly cord sounds as good as the better straight cable.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Pedals aren't for everybody--and not every pedals is for everybody who uses pedals.

there are pedals that don't work for me--but others do real cool things with them--and vice versa.

And sometimes no pedals is better...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I think this will be my last pedal buy. I had really high hopes for this. I've been looking for something to renew my interest in playing (which has been flagging for a while). Instead, I found myself avoiding picking up the guitar because I felt that if I did decide to play, I would feel obligated to try out the pedal before I decided to sell it.

I did spend a bit of time with it the last couple of days, but my initial feelings about it haven't changed.

I did make one interesting discovery. After reading a thread on TDPRI about cables, I began to wonder if maybe my 30 foot curly cord was part of the problem. I ended up experimenting with different more expensive patchcords, and even put the pedal on top of the amp so I could use an 8" Fender Custom Shop tweed cable directly into the amp. I also tried using the wireless to bypass the cable issue altogether. What I found is that my high-test straight cord sounded slightly better into the pedal than the curly cord, but neither sounded as good as plugging directly into the Twin. The noise appears to be inherent whenever any kind of a pedal....even if it's supposed to be true bypass....is inline between the guitar and amp. What's weird is that when I plug directly into the amp, the curly cord sounds as good as the better straight cable.
    What flagging interest in playing guitar? What will you do with the house full of 'em!

Well it sounds like the pedal was ruining it...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Well it sounds like the pedal was ruining it...
    It didn't jump-start my urge to play which is what I was hoping for.

I played with the pedal a bit tonight. One of the things I've discovered is that I don't like what it does to the reverb on the amp. The Twin's reverb section is pretty lush sounding, but for some reason, when the pedal's on, it sounds a lot more like a solid state time-tunnel reverb.

I'm at a loss to understand this, but I have a plan to try and patch around it. I've been wanting to try using a pedal to chain the Normal and Vibrato channels together. I know that the channels are normally out-of-phase in a Fender amp with reverb, but I'm curious whether using a pedal inline between the channels would offer some type of phase correction and make it compatible. If it works, it would let me run the Mosaic through the dry gain stage of the Normal channel and combine with the output of the reverb recovery amp in the Vibrato channel. Maybe that would keep the reverb sounding sweet by mixing in the effect after the fact. Just daydreaming here.....I'd like to find some way I could learn to like the pedal.

Does the amp have an effects loop?
    Sometimes that helps--sometiems it doesn't.

Does the amp have an effects loop?
    Sometimes that helps--sometiems it doesn't.
    No, it's a 1970 chassis, so long before effects loops became common. The way I'd be doing it is connecting one of the jacks from the Vibrato channel to the input of the Mosaic, and connecting the output of the Mosaic to one of the jacks for the Normal channel.

I think testing this theory is on the list for tomorrow.

Ok--wasn't sure if it had one--it's been a while since I've seen one...

But let us know how the experiment works.

I still wouldn't let one bad pedal experience torpedo all interest in pedals and playing. Just find some other guys to play with and you will have some motivation again.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I still wouldn't let one bad pedal experience torpedo all interest in pedals and playing. Just find some other guys to play with and you will have some motivation again.
    Quite possibly.

My reason that I might not have another NPD for some time is different & will be revealed shortly