Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NPD

NPD

Generally, new gear days are pretty satisfying. This one wasn't. My new Mosaic pedal arrived in this afternoon's mail and I've had a brief chance to put it through it's paces.

You've heard me complain before about how the guitar signal's degraded by passing through a pedal instead of plugging in direct. I expected this pedal (which is supposed to be true bypass) to be better....but it's not. The clarity, dynamics, and noise-free characteristics of my gear are quite diminished by having the pedal inline, even if it's not turned on.

Sonically, I thought I knew what to expect, having listened to about eight or nine online reviews. I'm disappointed, so far. Even with both the effect and tone controls cranked wide open, the twelve string effect is quite subtle. And, using my Strat with American Standard pickups and the treble turned up with the bright switch on, it sounds muddled. Basically, plugging this pedal in makes my vintage Twin Reverb sound nasty and cheap.

I'll try this thing over the next week or so, but unless I find some redeeming qualities, I'll craigslist it sometime soon.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Generally, new gear days are pretty satisfying. This one wasn't. My new Mosaic pedal arrived in this afternoon's mail and I've had a brief chance to put it through it's paces.

You've heard me complain before about how the guitar signal's degraded by passing through a pedal instead of plugging in direct. I expected this pedal (which is supposed to be true bypass) to be better....but it's not. The clarity, dynamics, and noise-free characteristics of my gear are quite diminished by having the pedal inline, even if it's not turned on.

Sonically, I thought I knew what to expect, having listened to about eight or nine online reviews. I'm disappointed, so far. Even with both the effect and tone controls cranked wide open, the twelve string effect is quite subtle. And, using my Strat with American Standard pickups and the treble turned up with the bright switch on, it sounds muddled. Basically, plugging this pedal in makes my vintage Twin Reverb sound nasty and cheap.

I'll try this thing over the next week or so, but unless I find some redeeming qualities, I'll craigslist it sometime soon.
    Can you return it? Perhaps it is defective?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Can you return it? Perhaps it is defective?
    Well, I did what I said I wouldn't....I was seduced by the fact that it was over 100.00 cheaper on eBay, so bought it online. Not really practical to send it back because shipping by Canada Post is outrageously expensive.

Also, I don't know if it even qualifies as defective - To me, it's the kind of performance that I'd expect from a POS entry-level manufacturer. It works....It just works really badly.

This will likely be the last time I ever buy a pedal of any kind.

Oh man that stinks.

I expected this pedal (which is supposed to be true bypass) to be better....but it's not. T

This will likely be the last time I ever buy a pedal of any kind.
    Sorry to hear it didn't go well.
    But good that you going to give it another chance---sometimes we need time to get used o a pedal & how to use it.
    My initial experience with my Empress Distortion was not positive--but I kept at it--and it has turned out to be my favorite.
    Not saying that will happen here--but it is good to give it a fair shake.

As for True Bypass--I personally don't care if a pedal is true bypass or not.
    It's not all it's cracked up to be, but it can be a good thing too.
    For too many guitar players the "True Bypass is better" Koolaid ruins many a guitar player.
    (As does the "True Bypass sucks" koolaid)

As for never buying another pedal--hey that's fine if you don't--no problem--but what if you get a chance to try it out in person first--with your guitar & amp?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Yeah I'm not sure that one experience with a pedal means you should never buy any pedal again ever. Maybe just make sure you try them first.

Well some people are pedal people & some aren't--and some switch back & forth--it's all good...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've given myself some time to experiment and learn to like this pedal, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. I just listed it for sale on Used Cowichan and hopefully it'll be gone soon.

oh well.....

Well at least now you know--and that is why I always like to try a pedal out before buying it...