Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So, I've been listening to a lot Rippingtons, Toto, etc

Blues, you did not answer my question about Apple or Android. There are apps that I want to recommend, but I need to know which mobile platform you use.

For now, let's get you playing! Here are a couple of Youtube backing tracks for practicing playing over the II-V-I progression. Once you start on this, you can find lots more on Youtube. If the chords are going by too fast, there is an Apple app that you can use to make your own backing tracks, so you can control how many bars it stays on each chord, and also control the tempo.

This one goes through all the keys (in a logical manner), but it stays in C for 3 minutes or so:

For now, let's stick with what you know. Play the following Pentatonic scales over the chords:

Dm - D Minor Pentatonic

G7 - G Major Pentatonic (or E Minor Pentatonic)

C - C Major Pentatonic (or A Minor Pentatonic)

I have included minor choices for the major pentatonic, in case you are more comfortable with the minors. But if you can, use the major ones. They will more likely have you starting and ending on the correct tonic note.
    Use whatever positions you already know for the pentatonic scales. Try to avoid bends in this exercise. We are trying to keep to just the five notes of each pentatonic scale for now. Later, when you are comfortable with the three modes I gave you earlier, you can try them over these backing tracks. But for now, I just want you to have a guitar in your hands as you listen to the backing tracks.

Don't worry if it doesn't sound like "jazz", for now. We are taking baby steps here. But the "giant steps" (pun intended) won't happen without lots of baby steps.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Another great exercise is to sing, scat or hum over backing tracks such as these. No guitar in your hands, just you and the tracks, making music.
    You don't have to try to sing any scale, just make music with your ear and you mind, and your mouth.
    And your soul.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

The pentatonics I suggested earlier are not very exotic sounding. They are using five notes from the modes that are commonly played over the II-V-I chords. The V chord in this case is a "7" chord. It could also be a "9" chord, but not a "b9" or "#9".

If you are playing over a "b9" or "#9" (or want to imply that sound with your soloing, over a "7" chord), you can try these alternative pentatonic scales:

Dm - D Minor Pentatonic

G7b9 or G7#9 - F Minor Pentatonic

C - E Minor Pentatonic (through in a C note now and then)

or these ones:

Dm - D Minor Pentatonic

G7b9 or G7#9 - Bb Minor Pentatonic

C - C Major Pentatonic (or A Minor Pentatonic, put emphasize the C note)
    Last edited by doublewah; 10-22-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Blues, you did not answer my question about Apple or Android. There are apps that I want to recommend, but I need to know which mobile platform you use.
    woops sorry about that dW, i must have missed it. I use Apple platform, i have an iphone6s, macbook pro and 2nd gen ipad.

these are great! major and minor pentatonics are in my ball park. I use it a lot for blues. it will be weird not bending but will try to hit just the notes. i have difficulty in hitting the right notes on each chord sometimes, but I will practice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    ...I use Apple platform, i have an iphone6s, macbook pro and 2nd gen ipad...
    Okay cool. Get this app:
    iReal Pro - Music Book and Play Along

There is a forum where you can download hundreds (thousands?) of charts for jazz standards. You can make your own, and I make a lot of mine. I use it to make quick charts for my musicians, and I use it to make backing music to practice to. Including the kind of thing I am talking about here. If I want to practice playing over a Dm7 chord, I just make a chart that is Dm7 for 32 bars, and tell it to play it 10 times. Or if I want to practice playing over a II V I, I make that, and copy-paste several times to fill the page. Then I set it to 10X and it will play til I'm blue in the face. I can change the tempo or key really quick.
    The app comes with lots of exercises, but I usually make my own.

By the way, I was not aware but iReal Pro is now available for Android as well.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    ...these are great! major and minor pentatonics are in my ball park. I use it a lot for blues. it will be weird not bending but will try to hit just the notes. i have difficulty in hitting the right notes on each chord sometimes, but I will practice on this.
    Some bends will work. Just not always where you would bend in a blues song. Use your ears to decide. But first get the positions and changes comfortable.

Blues, check out my new thread called "Jazz Theory Explained".

dB, your kids would benefit from it as well.

I'll read it now in fact

Tough few weeks at work. almost none guitar time! would really to try catch up in a few days!