Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Myths About Learning Guitar

Unless you are playing classical guitar, you probably really don't need to be able to read music, however if you can't even read lead sheets and play the chord changes in time you are severely limiting yourself as a player and whom you can play with. Being able to read lead sheet makes it so much easier to learn songs even if you are not playing with others.

The biggest problem is many guitar players have no sense of musical theory at all. Some don't even know what keys are and the concept of beats per measure, etc. This takes me back to 2 real life examples I saw in jam sessions:

1- the guy who played the "10 bar blues". When I asked him what that meant, he said "well I don't just play 2 of the bars". Huh?
    2- The guy who reliably (sort of) played everything as if it had 4.5 beats to the measure. Just try keeping up with that one.

Whether you need it or not in your chosen style of music, it is a useful skill and can help you decipher so much.

I have had so many people who never learned to read music who end up asking me about stuff they would know if they had learned to read music.

And that would primarily be in the realm of rock music.

(& hey--Steve Vai reads music & has transcribed complicated music in standard notation--and that ability has put money in his pocket & opened doors for him)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Oddly I find it much easier to sight read trumpet notes than guitar notes. Or maybe it is not so odd- I usually just read chords, not notes when I play guitar

Well I learned to read music on piano--and that helped with guitar & bass--as I already read both clefs...
    although sight reading was't one of my strengths when I took lessons--when I taught it really improved--because I had to do it so often.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Warren Vaché (who quite famous in trumpet circles) told me the following story this week. He said when he was playing with Benny Goodman's band many years ago he wasn't a great sight reader and Benny Goodman approached him and said "kid, you want to be a good sight reader? Here is what you do. Buy 10 pounds of sheet music- I don't care what- and sight read all of it. When you are done with that, buy another 10 pounds and do it again"

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Warren Vaché (who quite famous in trumpet circles) told me the following story this week. He said when he was playing with Benny Goodman's band many years ago he wasn't a great sight reader and Benny Goodman approached him and said "kid, you want to be a good sight reader? Here is what you do. Buy 10 pounds of sheet music- I don't care what- and sight read all of it. When you are done with that, buy another 10 pounds and do it again"
    Well there is no better way to learn musical skills than by actually using them...

So great advice.

Yeah, the problem is a lot of people (myself included sometimes) know exactly what they are not good at and those drills are the hardest to force yourself to do.

But they pay off--when I taught I really saw that...

So teach someone how to play guitar--it will make you better.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post

Absolutely...

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post

I've found the same thing....In having to explain basic theory to people I've taught to play, it's clarified my thought processes at the same time. I've tended to make progress and breakthroughs in my own playing after teaching others.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."