Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Things All Guitarists Should Be Able to Do

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    My observation with those players is that they often can't keep time
    Well that might just be one of the other 10 points...
    But it's not #2...

This is:
    2. Tune up.
    We’ve got tuner pedals, tuners built into guitars, tuners you can attach to the headstock, portable tuners, iPhones, iPads, pitch pipes, tuning forks, and keyboardists. NO excuses on this one!
    yes--I used to have problems with tuning until I learned it better & developed my ear.
    I would still say that the ability to tune without help is very important.
    Some younger guys can't--which amazes me--I mean if I could learn it--those hotshots should be able to do it.

And when I listen to others, this sometimes is the most annoying thing--wrongs notes & missed timing?
    Not good things, but out of tune can be worse.
    I may not always be perfect--but I will check & change it if I notice anything out--or if someone else says something, I will check.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

The show Corner Gas has an episode where the main character Brent, takes guitar lessons (A previous episode (Rock On) references his band in high school, and the band re-unites--they don't ignore that--he wants to get better)
    Things take a turn when the teacher turns out to be a sort of pretentious teen--and things kind of work out nicely at the end.
    Skip to 19:52 for the pay off...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Well that might just be one of the other 10 points...
    But it's not #2...

This is:

yes--I used to have problems with tuning until I learned it better & developed my ear.
    I would still say that the ability to tune without help is very important.
    Some younger guys can't--which amazes me--I mean if I could learn it--those hotshots should be able to do it.

And when I listen to others, this sometimes is the most annoying thing--wrongs notes & missed timing?
    Not good things, but out of tune can be worse.
    I may not always be perfect--but I will check & change it if I notice anything out--or if someone else says something, I will check.
    I'm pretty responsible about tuning myself. I always keep a clip tuner on the headstock and I am checking the tuning every couple songs.

I'm pretty responsible about tuning myself. I always keep a clip tuner on the headstock and I am checking the tuning every couple songs.
    Over time it seems al the people who play stringed instruments at church have Snarks--some had other tuners--but with seeing the Snarks the ones who didn't already have one bought one--ok--a couple of them had other brands--but they have moved out of the city

One week we had black, blue & red Snarks...
    It looked cool.

In no way am I pumping their product but they are probably the best for the money and at ~$10 online there is really no excuse for anyone to say they can't afford a tuner. I also have black, blue and red ones although I haven't seen the blue one for years so either someone took it or it is buried in a case from a guitar I never use.

I have two blue ones.
    I also have an old Intellitouch that cost a lot more--but I prefer the Snarks.
    I also have one I got off Reverb for a couple of bucks.
    But I find it awkward because of how it clips on & where the screen is--I mean I can use i--but I prefer the adjustability of the Snark
    the Reverb one is fine on some guitars but not on others.

So the blue Snarks get used...

There are very minor differences between blue, black and red but in the end they all work the same way.

There are very minor differences between blue, black and red but in the end they all work the same way.
    I haven't really noticed a difference--other than the black ones they have now have a slightly different display--but same idea.

Well back to the list--
    3. Hold your notes.
    Sure it’s fun to play fast, but I like to hear a note held out every once in a while.
    It is fun to play fast--but it's certainly not a hallmark of my playing.
    Sometimes I have overplayed speed wise--and some people out there can play quite quickly & melodically--and with feeling--but yes--mix it up--hold the note
    The article suggests, and I agree--often the first or last note is a great one o hold onto.

Agreed on #3