Page 11 of 193 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things you hate

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    This might be my last post for a while. Microsoft has made it impossible for me to use Security Essentials with Windows XP. I bought the AVG program earlier today, but after hours and hours of frustration, I can't seem to activate a firewall. This will be my last attempt to go online unless I find a solution. Since I'll no longer be tuning in to the forum, you can email me if you have a suggestion.
    Linux...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Linux...
    I just wiped XP off my office computer in favor of Ubuntu. The computer was only ever used for invoices, paypal, and banking.. all of which is web based. I didn't realize how much XP consumed resources. Now the computer has enough free resources to act as our media server. After familiarizing myself with Ubuntu which is very similar in feel to my macs, I can guarantee windows will never set foot in my home again.

I'm back...so maybe this belongs in the Good Things thread, but, the story was told here, so.... I still haven't resolved my problem with the AVG program - It's still locked into the "free" mode" and won't turn me into a premium subscriber. I've requested a refund from AVG.

But....After sending Microsoft some smokin' hot words about Microsoft Security Essentials not supporting XP, it mysteriously started working again within 24 hours. I doubt that my one voice made it happen, but I'm beginning to suspect that they got huge negative feedback about it and actually reacted to it. So, maybe pigs can fly.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I was kidding about Linux--although there are people who love it.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

My outdoor computer connects to my media server via wifi & a browser. It's an ancient old Dell so Linux Mint is perfect. If it dies I've got another one ready to go.
    The correct number of guitars to own = N+1 where N is the current number of guitars that you own.

On a totally random note......I was hoping last year was a fluke that wouldn't reoccur, but no such luck.

Today the herons returned to last years nest in the trees at the end of the driveway. I guess we're into another noisy six or eight months. Last year, they made an obnoxious amount of noise when they were mating and then building the nest....I guess the adult birds are very protective when they're setting up housekeeping. (When I heard them last year for the first time, I didn't think those bloodcurdling screams could be from a bird.....It sounded more like I figure a sasquatch would sound like)

When the young ones hatch, all hell breaks loose, because when one starts squawking, they all do....whether it's 3:00AM or the afternoon. This goes on more than half of the year, and I wish I could think of some remedy. Unfortunately, they're a protected species, so hunting them or even firing warning shots to scare them off isn't an option.

Do you have anything like ferrets/stoats/weasels native to your area? Maybe introducing some agile, vicious little carnivores to your garden might persuade the birds to leave. Bonus is that you wouldn't have a rodent problem either. Just don't keep pet birds or bunnies outside...
    The correct number of guitars to own = N+1 where N is the current number of guitars that you own.

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
    Do you have anything like ferrets/stoats/weasels native to your area? Maybe introducing some agile, vicious little carnivores to your garden might persuade the birds to leave. Bonus is that you wouldn't have a rodent problem either. Just don't keep pet birds or bunnies outside...
    We have racoons. I have a feeling they made a couple of forays to last year's nest because there were two real screaming matches that were a lot more vicious-sounding than the racket they'd make if a person walked by. Hopefully they'll take another run at it this year.

I have to go to a Mass at my daughter's Catholic high school this evening. I need ammunition!
    I was going to make curried eggs but we only have 7 left & Mrs BOFH claims that Dylan's breakfast is more important than me farting during a sermon

Well is it more important for some one to eat?