Page 11 of 135 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good Things in life

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I couldn't decide whether this should be in the good news thread or the bad news thread.

Last year I had serious car issues.....missing when the engine was under load. My car spent several days at the GM dealer in July. They eventually told me they couldn't find the problem and asked me to bring it back when it got worse. I took it back in September and they spent three days screwing around with it. They never did find the problem, but charged me 1000.00 anyway. I've just been living with the problem for a year.

Here's the good news part of it.....I found the problem myself over the weekend. I had been to my new (backyard) mechanic to have new brakes installed, and he topped up my oil. Half way home, the car started running like a bag of poop, but I nursed it home and put up the hood. Trying to think what could have changed, based on the work I'd just had done, I absentmindedly tightened up the oil fill cap. (It clicks, the same way as the gas cap does when it's tightened). Instantly, the problem's gone. I repeated the process a few times to reassure myself that I'd found the problem, and it's fine now.

The bad news is I'm having trouble grasping why professional mechanics at the dealership couldn't figure this out. All I know is that I'll never, ever take my car to a GM dealer for service again. Those guys are bozos.
    unreal......

Just time to hang out with family and/or friends is cool.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

This is a little thing, but it pleases me to no end. You've all heard me bitch about compact fluorescent bulbs, and lamented the fact that incandescent 100 watt bulbs didn't seem to be available anymore. Today, when I was grocery shopping, I discovered that they suddenly have regular 100 watters in stock. I'll never buy a compact fluorescent bulb again! (Of course, when I got home and started changing them over, I dropped a compact fluorescent and made a heck of a mess.....But it'll be the last time I'll clean one of these things up)
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I like the compact fluorescent bulbs--although I like the LED ones better.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've been away from the site for a while, I've been coping with my recent separation & taking it hard but things are looking up.

I've just had a raise, I've been volunteered for the Windows 10 project at work building an image for 10,000 PCS, I've found a lodger to move in, (he's a very gay hairdresser & he's lovely, my girls love him & he's going to do their hair before they go back to school next week). I've been away from the guitars for a while but I've started picking them up again.

Pennywise & Anti-Flag are playing in Perth in October & I have tickets & am taking a very lovely young lady to her first ever gig.
    The correct number of guitars to own = N+1 where N is the current number of guitars that you own.

I'm enjoying having a pet, of sorts. The landlord's daughter's cat, Lau, has been visiting me every day, and generally drops by for breakfast about 4:00AM when I'm out having my first smoke out on the deck. (She loves hotdogs!) I realized a while ago that, as much as I wanted to get a cat, it would be financially irresponsible to take on a pet when I couldn't afford to look after it's veterinary needs. So, this is kind of the best of both worlds.

The calm before the storm--I like the calm, it helps deal with the storm when it comes.
    (Not if it comes, but when it comes, because it will)

That is a shame about the separation, but at least other areas of your life are looking better.

Here's a good thing in life for me. My wife's job is now offering her health insurance and not only is it better coverage, it costs $5500 less than insurance that I pay. Time to pay the mortgage off as fast as I can...

Sometimes, the bad things that happen to other people make me feel good.

I was grocery shopping yesterday and a moron texting on a cell phone plowed right into me and dropped her I-phone. When I saw her pick it up with a broken screen, I wanted to laugh....but I waited till I was out of the store...and then laughed.

Hmm, some justice there--I once had my cart rammed into my ribs because a guy without a cart let his kid almost run into me--shot out of an aisle in the main aisle where I was and turned sharply and almost ran right into me.
    I was sore for a few days--but the dad & kid were oblivious.
    So good thing for the kid, but not for me--and don't get me started ont he Dad who seemed oblivious to almost everything.