Page 51 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good Things in life

Dropped my Les Paul off at Lay's Guitar repair for a set up and a bone nut installation. Nothing like have a business with that kind of reputation work on your gear.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

I'm envious that you are in a position to get it done. I used to send stuff out for fretwork and nut replacement, which I can't do. I had Rufus Stewart, who's a notable luthier in western Canada, do a fret level and new bone nut on my Duosonic with the 71 Musicmaster neck when I first build it. Unfortunately, the frets were at the stage of last-leveling, and I'd really love to have new vintage frets done. It's getting tougher to find the money for luxuries as I head into retirement.

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I'm envious that you are in a position to get it done. I used to send stuff out for fretwork and nut replacement, which I can't do. I had Rufus Stewart, who's a notable luthier in western Canada, do a fret level and new bone nut on my Duosonic with the 71 Musicmaster neck when I first build it. Unfortunately, the frets were at the stage of last-leveling, and I'd really love to have new vintage frets done. It's getting tougher to find the money for luxuries as I head into retirement.

Hey cool guitars--enjoy them...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Those are really nice SC!
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

I always thought the Duo Sonics are neat, but I think they have the short scale, right?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I always thought the Duo Sonics are neat, but I think they have the short scale, right?
    yes--they had 22.5" or 24"

My Mustang is 24"
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Fender Duosonics and Musicmasters were available with either a 22.5" student-scale or standard 24" short scale. The Mexican and Chinese Affinity Squier Duosonics are 22.7" for some reason. The Desert Sand CV Duosonic in the picture above has a 71 Musicmaster 24" scale neck. The red Duosonic is a 97 MIC and is 22.7". I have a thinline Tele with a 65 Musicmaster 22.5" I like the short scales for some stuff. They get a little tight for space above the 12th fret. I used to marvel at John Lennon with his 22.7" scale Rickenbacker 360.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

If I am having trouble learning something on another guitar I switch to my Mustang and learn it--the shortscale makes it easier for me--& once I learn it I can play it on a regular scale.

Finding new music you like or rediscovering an old favorite.

lamb korma!