Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Juicers?

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    This is something I'm curious about. I remember watermelons as a large egg-shaped fruit, perhaps 15' - 18" long. Since I developed a recent interest in juicing and began actively shopping, the ones I'm seeing are round and the size of a large softball, no more than 8" maximum. Is this change something that's universal or is it because they're out of season here, so what's currently available is a different species? I notice that the appliances that split them are shaped round and generally around 20cm (8"). I wonder if they'll work once the bigger melons are available.

I seem to remember a story online about melons being grown in boxes so they'd grow square, and easy to ship. I wonder if that's urban legend....I've never seen one.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Juicing

No, sorry it's not a pedal thread, lol.

Anybody here know anything about juicers? I've been looking at used ones in the classifieds and there are a couple of Champions that have a really sturdy commercial look to them. I looked them up online and they appear to be in a higher price bracket than a lot of consumer units. Any insights, or advice on what else I should be looking at?

Champion Juicer Heavy Duty Juicer Model Duncan, Cowichan
    They're more expensive because they're masticating juicer (aka slow juicer). These juicers extract more juice and the juice is also of higher quality than the juice from a centrifugal (fast juicer), which is generally cheaper in price. Slow juicer also make MUCH LESS noice, and in my personal experience they tend last longer. You can find all information about juicing (types of juicers, juicer vs blender, health benefits and downsides of juicing) in this article.

IF you juice lots of green leafy, buy a slow juicer. If it's mostly watermelon you're planning to juice, however, a fast juicer is better.

Spell--here you go!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Thanks for the info, Rosariques, and welcome to the forum!

I've been juicing for a few months now and really enjoy it.....Strange, because I hate to cook, but the juicing process is really relaxing. Love the Champion juicer too....Probably one of my most gratifying purchases in a long time.

I do exclusively watermelon juice at the moment. If I juice a whole full-size melon, it makes about two liters, so it takes me a couple of days to drink it all, but I've discovered it separates if I leave it in the fridge in a pitcher. I've been using mickey bottles for storage, which makes it easy to shake to reintegrate it. It's also a great size and shape of bottle to fit in my lunchbox, although I get a few quizzical looks from coworkers when they see me with a mickey at coffee-time, lol.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

LOL now I want a picture of you with your mickeys! On juice storage, I heard that filling the bottles up until there's no more air in it helps you keep the juice for longer, since that would minimize oxidation.

And after you spent that money on a juicer when you could have done this:

Or not.

Kind of cool video though.

SO can we tag members here to get Spell's attention?
    Maybe I'll just pm him...

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    SO can we tag members here to get Spell's attention?
    Maybe I'll just pm him...
    Here....Just sleeping at the switch

I guess that method juicing would work in a pinch, lol. However, I think I'll stick to my Champion.....It's amazing how much of the juice is yielded by the rind. I just peel the very outside dark green hide, but all the lighter green stuff inside is really good stuff.

You guys have got me planning a shopping trip for melons......Once I start thinking about it, I gotta have juice.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

It's amazing how much of the juice is yielded by the rind. I just peel the very outside dark green hide, but all the lighter green stuff inside is really good stuff.
    Does the rind juice taste different?

Well if it's all mixed up you probably taste the combination of juices

But try it yourself