Thread: Juicers?

Juicers?

No, sorry it's not a pedal thread, lol.

Anybody here know anything about juicers? I've been looking at used ones in the classifieds and there are a couple of Champions that have a really sturdy commercial look to them. I looked them up online and they appear to be in a higher price bracket than a lot of consumer units. Any insights, or advice on what else I should be looking at?

Champion Juicer Heavy Duty Juicer Model Duncan, Cowichan
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

No experience with these--but I find juice causes me to consume more sugar--even if no sugar is added--when you juice fruit you tend to get more of it and consumer more sugar--so while natural sugar is better overall than refined sugar--from a nutritional standpoint sugar is sugar--no matter what source.
    I tend to have too much sugar already so I am looking at ways to cut down--including natural sugars.
    I rarely drink juice for that reason.
    (When I do it tends to be in smaller quantities)

Is there a juicing forum?

Are there cork sniffers or brand snobs in the juicing world?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I never thought about looking for a forum that specializes in that stuff, but it's a thought. I've developed an interest in certain juice products from a health standpoint, so I've been doing overkill research, and at least from a standpoint of preparation and recipes, there's a huge amount of information. Just to address the sugar issue....One of my main focuses is watermelon, which is actually super-low in calories because it's 91% water, and a cup of diced watermelon is only 46 calories. The list of health benefits is too long to get into, but I'll leave it at saying most guys will like it.

What I really want to avoid is under-buying when I acquire a juicer. I started reading some reviews on the first few machines I was interested in, and that's what's made me a bit wary. Some of the machines seem to have built in deficiencies from being under-powered.

The Champions that I'm gravitating toward, aside from the fact that they appear to be built like a brick bulldozer, appear to be a vintage design that they've built for decades and have enormous parts and service resources available. The only discernible difference in the consumer and commercial models is that the pro line's designed to deal with the heat of running 24 hours a day non-stop.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Watermelon would be a great thing to use with it
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I never had a juicer other than the and lemon squeezers that we have (and use often!).

But boy, that GE juicer in the link looks like it was really built to last

Axellent Member
    My parents bought a Juiceman juicer back in the early 90's. It's nowhere near as industrial as the one you posted, but it survived 20 years of daily use. That's about the extent of my juice knowledge