Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer printer question

The best battery life I've ever had is the Xinhuang CR1220's (flat, dime-sized) that I bought for the built-in tuners in both my Strats. I paid about 8.00 with free shipping for two cards of five batteries each. I still have three left after almost 11 years. Every once in a while, Chinese batteries surprise me. I've had mixed success with the lithium battery packs I buy on eBay for my Pentax cameras. I've had a couple that failed, but seven have lasted several years and still recharge fine. In the early 80's, the audio store I worked at sold Maxell batteries. I don't know who made them for Maxell, but they lasted about twice as long as comparable Duracells and Energizers.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Sometimes it works out that way.
    I buy most of my batteries at costco--but I heard they changed their storebrand batteries...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

At 1:52AM this morning, the problem reoccurred. I wasn't asleep.....Had been lying in bed since midnight trying to drop off, but this made sure I was good and awake. When I try to sleep again, in an hour or so, I'll try pulling the AC cord out of the back of the computer. I don't necessarily think that'll do it, because it seems to me last time it did this, it was turned off and might also have been uplugged. Would make sense, if the battery's powering it. I'm also going to try powering down the modem, just in case the alarm's sounding because of a security breach. I'm really tired of computer problems.....I've spent almost 200.00 on the tower this month that I couldn't afford to spend, and am basically broke until Wednesday when pension cheques arrive when. Even then, I really can't justify it. It may be a case of having to give up using the computer and going off the grid. Pretty discouraged right now.

I spent a couple of hours sanitizing the tower so I could take it in to the tech at Staples to at least have it diagnosed. Pulled apart the dinosaur system in the bedroom to use as a temporary replacement and brought it out to the living room. That's when the regular tower decided to stop beeping. So angry I'd love to just take it out on the deck and see how far I could throw it. Now I don't know what to do. I wish I could sleep, but it was tough before, and this computer's really wound me up.

Maybe save up and get a new tower? I'd think you could get a basic one for $300 or less

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Maybe save up and get a new tower? I'd think you could get a basic one for $300 or less
    Probably more like 500.00 in Canada......You guys in the States get spoiled and have no idea what stuff costs here. But, regardless, way out of my price range. I suffer from R.I.D.S. (Retirement Income Deficit Syndrome), scraping by on a basic government pension, poor as a church-mouse. If this tower fails, it'll probably be the end of me and computers.

(Edited to add I just went back to the paperwork from my last computer repair- new power supply a few wekks ago- and Staples quoted 579.00 to replace what I had with something equivalent
    Last edited by spellcaster; 04-21-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Computer issues running rampant this morning. A number of programs and my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware were frozen and wouldn't load. I've spent the last hour sorting all this stuff out, and I think I've finally got things back to normal.

I've been yacking with a buddy on the computer forum, and he says the four short beep code indicates the motherboard's failing.

You know anyone who has an old PC or laptop that they can just give you?

I actually have a tower that my aunt gave me when she bought a Mac four years ago. I set it up as a bedroom computer but all it's really been good for is pulling up wiring diagrams if I'm soldering a guitar harness sitting at my desk.

It's an HP tower with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8. I've never had much luck with it.....It's slower than the second coming (pack a lunch if you're going to change screens) and for some reason, the print is minuscule - I mean really, really tiny, and I've had zero success cranking up the fonts to normal. On top of that, I've taken out all the old stuff including about 100 pictures and dozens of documents that were stored in it, but there's almost no available space in it.....I get the impression that there's still a huge block of data that's partitioned off and unavailable. It may come down to having to take it to an expert to solve some of the issues.

If my present computer goes to the happy hunting ground, I'll grab all the RAM sticks to try to hot rod the HP as much as possible, and probably grab back the new power supply and lithium batteries I just installed in the present clunker. This would be so much easier if I had a friend locally who knew something about computers. I know just enough to be dangerous......(Where have I heard that before????)