Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer printer question

Computer printer question

My printer's driving me nuts. This morning, out of the blue, my printer started producing an audible noise....Sounds like somebody squeezing a rubber-bulb bicycle horn four times. The printer is not turned on and not being used. The manual is of no help. It's an HP 1102w. I tried using HP Support online, but apparently I'm not eligible because it's out of warranty. The printer's still working, but unless I can solve this, I'm going to have to disconnect it and then reconnect it every time I use it which would be really awkward and inconvenient. Since the printer works, I assume this noise isn't a paper or ink issue alert. Any thoughts?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

A quick update.... A friend on a computer support forum that I've talked to about this asked if the printer was plugged into a UPS. I replied no, but he had me plug the power directly into a wall outlet, but the symptom remains unchanged.

Depending on how long you didn't use it for can affect some printers
    Fortunately --if it comes down to it--there are decent printers you can get for cheap.

It's not a dot matrix is it?
    Those are always noisy...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Okay......This is a face-plant moment. I pulled the printer in preparation to take it in for service. Put it on the counter to clean and dust first.....and the beeping went off again - while the printer was still unplugged. Belatedly, I realize whatever was beeping was still connected to the running computer system (Doh!)

I unplugged the monitor first....still beeped.....Unplugged the modem....still beeped....and finally pulled out the tower and turned the left (grilled side) out. It definitely originating inside the tower at the top. Weird, because when I push the tower back in place (which is in a corner), it still sounds like it's coming from above, where the printer normally sits. One of those weird acoustic things.....

Anyway, this brings me to my current issue - My tower beeps! I did some investigating online and found out that it's a rough equivalent to a diagnostic port in a car.....Depending on the number of beeps, whether they're long or short, high or low pitched, and whether there are pauses between the beeps, the tower is trying to communicate with the user. It depends on what BIOS system is incorporated, and of course, the codes are different for every BIOS supplier. I went through the process of figuring what system I have, looked at lists of codes online, and I'm still baffled. I have a feeling my computer's going to the hospital......

That's not good that woudl be more costly than replacing a printer--and probably more costly than repairing one.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

It might simply be telling you that it's C-MOS battery is nearly dead.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I've never heard of a C-MOS battery.....although it makes sense to me that there could likely be some type of battery backup that holds onto the program and the date/time when there's no AC power. I'm guessing that's probably something important to attend to if that's the case.

Strangely, this symptom was presenting as quickly as every 90 seconds early in the day, but it's down to once about twenty minutes or so now. I've tried doing a restart several times recently and it's not losing it's mind....yet.....

Hmm--know any high towers you can drop it off of?

How old is the tower, SC?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    How old is the tower, SC?
    I think it's about three or four years old.....but, I honestly can't remember. The good news is that things seem better. After getting that beeping frequently early in the day yesterday, it seemed to happen less and less often through the day. When I got up today, about an hour ago, I turned the computer on. So far, so good, with no beeping today. I wonder if this is something that's self-correcting. I was going to take the tower for service today, but now I'm glad I haven't. The last thing I need is a bench charge for a no-fault-found diagnosis.