Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    I witnessed it. I was camping there with my parents, uncles family, all his kids and my kids (the oldest of the combined group of kids was 8 at the time). In between the time I saw the balloon on fire and the time the basket fell, we somehow manage to carrel the kids into the trailer so my aunt could distract them with a movie. The basket fell less than 30 meters from us. My uncle and I ran to the scene to offer our assistance with my Dad catching up shortly after... (I was a level III first aid at the time.)

I'll spare you the details, but it was the most tragic thing I've ever seen. There's nothing more heartbreaking than standing on the side lines of a scene like this knowing that there's absolutely nothing you can do.

If you look at the 3rd picture down in the article, my uncle is the guy on the left in the green shirt, my Dad's next to him in the black shirt, and I'm out of frame.
    goodness how awful

Axellent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Mike, I'm speechless...

If I can find a sensible way to say it, do you mind if I do a post about you and your dad and uncle on my hero page? I can merely use the article and anonymously say that a friend of mine and his dad and uncle were amongst the first responders here, or something to that effect.

I really think that heroic deeds such as this need mentioning.
    My Friend, I am far from being a hero... If you want to mention something about knowing someone who helped out, by all means...

I can see how witnessing a balloon crash or other kind f crash could give you pause and lack a desire to fly--at least by the method you saw.
    Don't get me wrong... I still love flying. Being in the air is probably my favorite thing. I joined the air cadets when I was 12 and have been flying ever since. Getting my private pilots license is on my mid-life bucket list. I just can't go up in a balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    Don't get me wrong... I still love flying. Being in the air is probably my favorite thing. I joined the air cadets when I was 12 and have been flying ever since. Getting my private pilots license is on my mid-life bucket list. I just can't go up in a balloon.
    Which was why I referenced the method.
    I can see why it turned you off of it...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I dont have a problem with flying. in fact I love it. I love airports and the sense of adventure it has. I used to travel to and fro Guam a lot, and I feel that flying gives me freedom from where I was bound my whole life, and developed a positive feeling about it.

but my wife is suffering from anxieties on flying. We've been practicing a few flights around here in the Philippines where its just an hour or so, but she definitely is very anxious. We need to seek professional help because we are preparing for our 2018 flight to US-Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Which was why I referenced the method.
    I can see why it turned you off of it...
    I think after his experience I wouldn't be flying in a hot air balloon either...

Today's mid-air crash between two planes over Montreal was tragic. One plane landed in a shopping mall parking lot, the other on the shopping mall roof. Sad.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.