Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying

Flying

How do you feel about flying? Any qualms about stepping into a plane? I'm guessing that as musicians, we will have an keen awareness of tragedies where we lost guitar heroes, but plane accidents happen virtually every day, every year.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I've been flying my whole life, in pretty much anything that can go in the air. Gliders, small planes, big planes, whirly birds... The only thing I have a problem getting into is a hot air balloon, for good reason...

I was here... 2 people confirmed dead, 11 injured in B.C. balloon crash - British Columbia - CBC News

I'm not especially afraid of flying myself. Sometimes it is something you simply can't avoid

My dad loved to fly small planes, so I would go up with him as a young boy. I always loved it up there!
    I have flown a lot for gigs, and a also a lot for pleasure. Up in the clouds is one of my favourite places to be.
    (When I get a window seat, anyway.)

Mike, do you mean you witnessed this, or you were one of the surviving passengers?
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I witnessed it. I was camping there with my parents, uncles family, all his kids and my kids (the oldest of the combined group of kids was 8 at the time). In between the time I saw the balloon on fire and the time the basket fell, we somehow manage to carrel the kids into the trailer so my aunt could distract them with a movie. The basket fell less than 30 meters from us. My uncle and I ran to the scene to offer our assistance with my Dad catching up shortly after... (I was a level III first aid at the time.)

I'll spare you the details, but it was the most tragic thing I've ever seen. There's nothing more heartbreaking than standing on the side lines of a scene like this knowing that there's absolutely nothing you can do.

If you look at the 3rd picture down in the article, my uncle is the guy on the left in the green shirt, my Dad's next to him in the black shirt, and I'm out of frame.

When I was a kid, my best friend's father had a dirt strip for his small plane between our properties, so I had opportunities to go up fairly often. It was interesting, but I never became comfortable with it. As I got older, working in AM radio, I had lots of chances to see just how many plane crashes were reported on the Broadcast News teletype. It was a real eyeopener and I resolved never to fly again.

Mike, I'm speechless...

If I can find a sensible way to say it, do you mind if I do a post about you and your dad and uncle on my hero page? I can merely use the article and anonymously say that a friend of mine and his dad and uncle were amongst the first responders here, or something to that effect.

I really think that heroic deeds such as this need mentioning.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I can see how witnessing a balloon crash or other kind f crash could give you pause and lack a desire to fly--at least by the method you saw.

In my case I love flying--although there are aspects I am not fond of--the security checks can be tiresome & sometimes a bit overbearing--even though security is important.
    The cramped seats they squish you into on some flights, and trying to book a direct flight--you either leave very early, very late or pay double on some flights I've seen.

One time I was flying to Victoria and one option had a layover in Vancouver for a few hours...
    Yes hours...

But overall I am good with flying.
    One time I had about a 3/4 hour flight (round trip)--and in both directions just before they turned off the seatback TVs I had it on the Discovery Channel --on the way there here was a commercial for a show on airplane disasters & on the way back the show started...
    (Both times I was watching Mythbusters--having read most of the trip before that.)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've developed an enthusiasm for a TV show about airline disasters called Mayday. The forensics that go into a plane crash investigation are fascinating. What's scary is when you realize just how many people you're trusting to get it right. Three things stand out after watching these shows.......

Airlines are like any other business, and they have financial concerns that can lead to things like skimping on maintenance and only doing the bare legal minimums, or procrastinating on repairs because it's hard to keep a plane out-of-service. Lots of major airline accidents happen because somebody did a half-ass quickie repair job and years later metal fatigue tears the plane apart in mid-air. Small regional airlines are the biggest offenders, but there have been major carriers involved sometimes.

The relationship between pilots and first officers seems more strained and prone to breeches in protocol than it is in lots of other jobs. Too often, the captain screws up or develops tunnel-vision about a problem, and there's nobody with the guts to say or do something that'll save the plane.

Modern planes, such as Airbus A320's and Boeing 737 and newer jets, have become so overly sophisticated that the pilot's basically a computer jockey, and the computer's flying the plane. A lot of today's pilots don't have the skills to actually fly the plane if the auto-pilot fails, or the ability to anticipate how the plane will react if the autopilot disengages.

The comment heard most often is that it's the safest way to travel, and you're more likely to be involved in a car accident than a plane disaster. From my perspective, there are lots of car accidents you can walk away from.....Plane crashes without loss of life are relatively uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I've developed an enthusiasm for a TV show about airline disasters called Mayday.
    that was the show--I couldn't remember the name...
    Thanks
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.