Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: So my best friend is having a baby...

The thought has crossed my mind... Maybe

Well you already have some prospective clients...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

He'd probably have to charge big bucks with the amount of time he puts in

Pricing wouldn't be too bad. This cradle took me about 25 hrs of working time, and it's on the more intricate side of furnishings with all the mortise and tenons required for the slats plus the inlay. If I were to charge for something like this, I would calculate the anticipated time @ $50/hr plus materials. It's definitely not Ikea prices, but certainly not unaffordable for a solid wood piece of furniture.

At this current point in time, the only thing that's preventing me from pursuing this further is space. I currently have a single car garage for work space which fills up fast with a single project. I also have use of my Uncles wood shop, but can't store large projects there, and transporting projects from one work space to another is cumbersome. So, until I have my own dedicated wood shop, this probably won't go any further than a hobby with the occasional small project.

Time to expand!

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    Pricing wouldn't be too bad. This cradle took me about 25 hrs of working time, and it's on the more intricate side of furnishings with all the mortise and tenons required for the slats plus the inlay. If I were to charge for something like this, I would calculate the anticipated time @ $50/hr plus materials. It's definitely not Ikea prices, but certainly not unaffordable for a solid wood piece of furniture.

At this current point in time, the only thing that's preventing me from pursuing this further is space. I currently have a single car garage for work space which fills up fast with a single project. I also have use of my Uncles wood shop, but can't store large projects there, and transporting projects from one work space to another is cumbersome. So, until I have my own dedicated wood shop, this probably won't go any further than a hobby with the occasional small project.
    Teach me how to man your pickup building operation & I will take care of things while you get that awesome cradle building operation off the ground.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    Teach me how to man your pickup building operation & I will take care of things while you get that awesome cradle building operation off the ground.
    Take him up on it!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    Look at this guy muscling in!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Look at this guy muscling in!
    You had your chance--but at least they are in the same part of the world...

That's definitely not my thing anyway- I am not skilled at woodworking