Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever wonder if you made a big mistake?

Ever wonder if you made a big mistake?

Ever wonder if you made a big mistake? About a week ago, my landlord approached me, telling me he was having a satellite installed and asking me if I wanted to switch from cable to dish. I said yes fairly quickly, since it was a saving of about 100.00/month.

The dish was installed on Thursday, and I expected to spend a couple of days struggling to learn a new remote and getting used to the channels being on strange frequencies. It's now four days later, and all I've learned is that there's not much on here to watch. I don't watch any sports, and I really don't care for movies. What's left are hundreds of CTV and CBC channels showing the same few shows. I've lost the two stations I watched the most, which are only on cablevision, and the only things I've found that I'm interested in are reruns of Star Trek TNG and Rookie Blue that I've seen every day since this horror show started (You can only watch Pickard defeat the Borg so many times.)

I'm already having serious buyers remorse and heartily wishing I hadn't said yes so fast. I expect to call the cable company this week and pay to switch it back. The satellite may have hundreds of channels, but they all show the same limited crap.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

It all depends on what you watch.
    I've gone years without watching much TV & I've spent too many hours in front the TV--I can function eitehr way.
    What I find is when I don't watch, I don't really miss it.
    (Other than CFL football--especially the playoffs)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Yeah, I guess it depends on your lifestyle.

For me, TV's on all the time, and I'm on the computer on and off all day, depending on my level of eyestrain and what's on TV that's worthwhile. With little, or more often nothing, on satellite TV, I feel more frustration than some people might......almost like somebody stole half of my lifestyle.

I think I'll call tomorrow and set up an appointment to have it switched back. I still hadn't cancelled my cable plan, so it should just be a patching issue in the outside service box.

I haven't had cable in 7 years. What little I want to watch, either my son streams it, or I can find it on Youtube.

When I visit family I flip through the cable channels and it's kind of like what you described for satellite.
    3 or 4 channels repeated 3 or 4 times across the cable channels, with lots of channels in-between that are there only to annoy you and show you (by not showing you) what you could be seeing if you would give them more money. The cable company's remote is designed so that you can set up your own "list" but you have to press 3 or 4 buttons every time you want to get to another channel.

I would NEVER pay a dime for this horrible cable service.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I'm also one who streams everything now- you determine your content and when you want to watch it independent of schedules. I found I never watched broadcast TV so I had my set top box removed, which lowered my channels but nobody in the family seems to have noticed.

Lots of options--some people love satellite--some don't.
    But we all need to set our priorities time & money wise.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Time! That's half the battle!
    One of the things that annoys me about the cable remote that I mentioned was how long it takes to change channels.

I seem to remember that you could channel-surf as fast as you wanted. Press the channel every half-second, and it would skip through channels as fast as you pressed.
    This remote takes something like 10 seconds to go to the next channel and sit there to see if you want to buy that channel that you don't already have. Pressing the channel button every half-second does nothing, but slowly take it to the next channel, and then it waits.
    It can take a half hour to get through 100 channels. That's why I took the time to learn how to set up the remote to the 3 or 4 channels that had the content that I wanted, only to find that using my setup was at least as frustrating as the normal way.

No thanks!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Time! That's half the battle!
    One of the things that annoys me about the cable remote that I mentioned was how long it takes to change channels.

I seem to remember that you could channel-surf as fast as you wanted. Press the channel every half-second, and it would skip through channels as fast as you pressed.
    This remote takes something like 10 seconds to go to the next channel and sit there to see if you want to buy that channel that you don't already have. Pressing the channel button every half-second does nothing, but slowly take it to the next channel, and then it waits.
    It can take a half hour to get through 100 channels. That's why I took the time to learn how to set up the remote to the 3 or 4 channels that had the content that I wanted, only to find that using my setup was at least as frustrating as the normal way.

No thanks!
    i've never seen one that takes that long--that would be annoying

Yeah, this one takes about ten seconds to change channels, and it drives me crazy. I talked to the landlord about this earlier this morning. He's disappointed because he figured it was going to save me a bunch of money, but is okay with me switching back. He's got the installer coming back on Wednesday to add an extra line to the satellite for his part of the house, so he'll get the installer to swap the connection on mine back to cable. I'm excited......Which is weird - I never expected to be looking forward to standard cable-vision.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    i've never seen one that takes that long--that would be annoying
    This is with Shaw Cable in the Ottawa Valley, Ontario. Much worse in every respect compared to what I remember with the cable providers in Toronto.