Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone scam-new wrinkle

Phone scam-new wrinkle

I've been hearing about a phone scam that seems to be active in this area now. The phone will ring and the voice on the other end, generally robotic but possibly live, will say "can you hear me?". Your response, yes or no, is recorded and later used as proof that you verbally contracted an expensive service or product.

I've heard of this on TV news, so when it happened yesterday, I just hung up. It's been happening since, but the curious thing is that the calls are coming in on my cell phone. The phone has no hands-free capability and is a flip phone that needs to be opened to answer a call. With these calls, the phone rings once, and I can hear a voice say "Can you hear me? Answer yes or no" even though the phone is still closed and not answered. This seems to defy everything I know about the way the phone operates. What the heck's going on?

Part of my cell plan includes detail billing, so when my end-of-the-month invoice arrives, I'll have the number where the scam call originated. I'm planning to make a complaint to the Victoria Better Business Bureau and also the CRTC's Do-Not-Call Registry.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

That is absolutely bizarre...

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    That is absolutely bizarre...
    It certainly is!
    One of the things I like about having a flip phone is the fact that it doesn't call or answer accidentally.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Not quite on-topic, yet related:
    "I trolled my IRS scammers for weeks. I learned something really dark."
    http://www.vox.com/first-person/2016...-phone-cartoon
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

What's really bugging me is how the caller managed to make my phone answer the call (I was 10 feet from the phone, so I didn't accidentally trigger it), and how can my phone, which has no mike/speaker/hands-free capability, manage to make that message audibly loud.

Two things.....If nuisance callers have figured out a way to remotely make a phone answer a call, my phone, which is not free- 25 cents/minute during the day, could run up one hell of a bill without me doing anything. Secondly, without wanting to sound paranoid.....If a cheap POS flip phone with no hands-free talk mode can be made to produce audible nuisance messages, it becomes easy to believe that maybe the phone could be monitoring me when I think it's hung up or turned off.

A guy I work with got a call saying they were with that Canada Revenue Service & went on this rant on how he owed a pile of money for taxes. He let them go on for a while then said. You do realize that you are threatening a Vancouver city Police officer don't you. This got the so called CRS member stuttering a bit then he proceeded to tell him what he was going to do with the contact number he had on his phone now that this scammer had phoned a cop. The scammer hung up. Then he phoned him back. He hung up again but then wouldn't answer any calls from that line. So for days after he borrowed phone after phone harassing this little s o b. Lol we were all entertained at work as many of us gladly let him use our phone's for the cause. Definitely made lunch break fun lol. The guy would answer time after time & he would shout " Were gonna find you it's just a matter of time. Lol.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I've been hearing about a phone scam that seems to be active in this area now. The phone will ring and the voice on the other end, generally robotic but possibly live, will say "can you hear me?". Your response, yes or no, is recorded and later used as proof that you verbally contracted an expensive service or product.

I've heard of this on TV news, so when it happened yesterday, I just hung up. It's been happening since, but the curious thing is that the calls are coming in on my cell phone. The phone has no hands-free capability and is a flip phone that needs to be opened to answer a call. With these calls, the phone rings once, and I can hear a voice say "Can you hear me? Answer yes or no" even though the phone is still closed and not answered. This seems to defy everything I know about the way the phone operates. What the heck's going on?

Part of my cell plan includes detail billing, so when my end-of-the-month invoice arrives, I'll have the number where the scam call originated. I'm planning to make a complaint to the Victoria Better Business Bureau and also the CRTC's Do-Not-Call Registry.
    Most likely they change numbers &/or use spoof numbers.
    Ever had you phone ring & call display shows your own number?
    That's a spoof number--but it coudl also be a different number.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Most likely they change numbers &/or use spoof numbers.
    Ever had you phone ring & call display shows your own number?
    That's a spoof number--but it could also be a different number.
    You may be right about the spoof number. I know that most people who get these scam calls probably have call display, so there's a pretty good chance the numbers they see aren't real. I'm hoping that the detail billing I get from Telus is the LUDS that contain the actual number from the source. I can take a small amount of satisfaction that I wasn't duped by the scam, but I'd get intense gratification if I could provide the BBB or RCMP with a lead in tracking these asshats.

Certainly any time you can pass along info that way it may be helpful.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I got one of those IRS scam calls a few days ago. The woman was very accusatory in her tone which immediately tipped me off it was a scam so I simply hung up. The IRS doesn't yell at you- they send you letters saying you are being audited or you made a mistake and owe money.