Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Got a job offer this morning

I graduated college with no assets or investments whatsoever- I am determined that my kids will never be in a position like this.

It's nice if you can do it--so many finish college or other post secondary education with debt.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Well unfortunately my kids will graduate with college debt, but the upside is they will still have private retirement accounts, being a good 10 years ahead of their peers.

So Spell, the lesson here is--save up!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

A bit late in his case- but not too late for many of us...

Never too late--but sometimes it would be better if you started sooner.

In his case I think it actually is too late. I do not think you can contribute to a private retirement account once you have started drawing down a public pension

Doesn't mean he can't do it some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    It's going well, dB. I'm finally starting to feel better....Not so much run down by a freight train at the end of the day.....and the new jeans I just bought are two inches smaller in the waist. I'm in better shape than I've been for a year, and surprisingly, not having too much trouble getting up at 4:30AM. And, it's nice to know that when I decide I've had enough, I'll have that pleasure of retirement to look forward to.
    just curious, SC- if you are getting up at 4:30 what time do you need to go to sleep at night? 20.oo or 21.oo?

Yeah, I'm generally in bed by 8:30 or 9:00. Years ago, I could run on little or no sleep, but at my current age and state of health, I really need 8 hours sleep. It troubles me when I wake up early (at 3:00AM or 3.00AM) because I know it'll catch up to me by noon, and I'll struggle to stay awake until evening. It doesn't matter to me now that I'm on an early schedule because I don't have any social activities in the evening.....But, I still remember when I was doing band rehearsals till 11:00PM and getting up was really tough.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."