Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I might be moving to Melbourne!

Better make sure that your amps will work over there or you'll have to go shopping again...

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Better make sure that your amps will work over there or you'll have to go shopping again...
    What's wrong with going gear shopping?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

First of all, IAITB, congratulations!

I think dB made an excellent point. I did a bit of online research, and (from what I can see) the Phillipines is normally 220V AC, and potentially could be using three different types of plugs and receptacles.....Two-prong polarized blade-style, three-prong grounded. or two pins in - Types A, B, C)). The source I found indicates that Australia is 230V AC and uses three prongs with a canted blade orientation (Type I). For some reason, it's not ringing true for me, as I'm sure I've heard people on forums talking about using Fender Export (220V) amplifiers in Australia. Maybe it's the same sort of paradox we run into in North America with AC that is nominally 120V, but may vary plus or minus. It's something worth considering if IAITB's making a move.

For your perusal, here's a chart that compares international voltages and plug configurations......

Plug & socket types - World Standards
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Yeah, what I meant was before you take a heavy item like an amp along, make sure it will work. If not, sell the amp in the Philippines and get one locally in Australia.

It would make little sense to bring an amp that would just have to be sent back to the Philippines for sale. Although if it is just the plug that is different, you could simply get an adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    First of all, IAITB, congratulations!

I think dB made an excellent point. I did a bit of online research, and (from what I can see) the Phillipines is normally 220V AC, and potentially could be using three different types of plugs and receptacles.....Two-prong polarized blade-style, three-prong grounded. or two pins in - Types A, B, C)). The source I found indicates that Australia is 230V AC and uses three prongs with a canted blade orientation (Type I). For some reason, it's not ringing true for me, as I'm sure I've heard people on forums talking about using Fender Export (220V) amplifiers in Australia. Maybe it's the same sort of paradox we run into in North America with AC that is nominally 120V, but may vary plus or minus. It's something worth considering if IAITB's making a move.

For your perusal, here's a chart that compares international voltages and plug configurations......

Plug & socket types - World Standards
    Yeah, what I meant was before you take a heavy item like an amp along, make sure it will work. If not, sell the amp in the Philippines and get one locally in Australia.

It would make little sense to bring an amp that would just have to be sent back to the Philippines for sale. Although if it is just the plug that is different, you could simply get an adapter.
    Hi guys, no worries, Im not bringing my amp. Too heavy. and even if they are providing relocation assistance funds, Im not gonna use it on that. Maybe some other important things.

I still dont have a tube amp so I guess my amp can still be stored for a long time. What Im debating on with myself is if Im bringing my American Pro and some of my guitars. I dont want it to be checked in, but it will be for sure because of the size of the case. Even if it's molded case, and has TSA locks, it's still not a flight case and my guitar might get damaged by the baggage crews. I dont want put it in a gig bag, because if it gets checked in, then there's no telling if it will survive.

What Im planning, is just to get settled over there, stay for a while, figure things out, and then I'll have my guitars shipped by cargo/freight. cheaper, might take a long time, but safer. I dont think Im gonna buy an expensive guitar in Australia, but who knows. Might get my dream 62 telecustom there. I still have to worry about other things than my guitars.

Or get settled, buy something not so expensive, like a Baja 60's or something, and then go back after a year with a really good flight cases for guitars, and bring it back myself.

Sounds like a plan....

You can always rent as well--and like I said--gear shopping isn't abad thing--even if a lot of it winds up being window shopping.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    What Im planning, is just to get settled over there, stay for a while, figure things out, and then I'll have my guitars shipped by cargo/freight. cheaper, might take a long time, but safer.
    Is freight actually safer? I'd check with the airline- I have seen them allow people to carry a guitar on the plane.

Is freight actually safer? I'd check with the airline- I have seen them allow people to carry a guitar on the plane.
    The problem is there isn' any way to guarantee it--as far as I can tell--if they have too much carry on they may require it be checked baggage--so no way to know until it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    The problem is there isn' any way to guarantee it--as far as I can tell--if they have too much carry on they may require it be checked baggage--so no way to know until it's too late.
    Honestly however I think it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. If you freight it, it is practically the same as checking baggage- it will still get thrown around.