Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket has changed it's terms of service.

Effective now, the pictures that are hot-linked to our forum will disappear. Photo owners will no longer have access to their pictures unless they become subscribers (59.95/year but no hot-linking allowed) or Plus Service (399.95/year with hot-linking allowed).

Needless to say, I won't be able to pay, so I'm about to lose all my pictures, representing years of gear photos, plus irreplaceable personal and family photos. To say I'm bitter about it doesn't begin to describe the rage I'm feeling.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Hmm, I haven't logged in today--but also haven't received any emails about it.
    Fortunately I have the pictures I want to keep backed up.

And I saw pictures I posted from Photobucket earlier today online.

I'll have to go check it out.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post

Effective now, the pictures that are hot-linked to our forum will disappear. Photo owners will no longer have access to their pictures unless they become subscribers (59.95/year but no hot-linking allowed) or Plus Service (399.95/year with hot-linking allowed).

Needless to say, I won't be able to pay, so I'm about to lose all my pictures, representing years of gear photos, plus irreplaceable personal and family photos. To say I'm bitter about it doesn't begin to describe the rage I'm feeling.
    This is one of the reasons I am very leery of saving things to online drives and I still save all files on my hard drive. The strategy is get you dependent on a free product and then start charging down the road...

Can you download all your Photobucket pictures before the timeline elapses or become a new member only long enough to download and then cancel?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    This is one of the reasons I am very leery of saving things to online drives and I still save all files on my hard drive. The strategy is get you dependent on a free product and then start charging down the road...

Can you download all your Photobucket pictures before the timeline elapses or become a new member only long enough to download and then cancel?
    Do it beforehand--and it won't matter--but since we can't do time travel (Other than a second at a time in one direction)--Check--I have seen different people online that have had different experiences...
    If you don't have Photobucket--well that's okay then...
    You're safe
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

SC did you go and save all those pictures locally or was it already too late?

I was considering other sites already as my Photobucket has been so slow recently--and they want me to pay for that?

SC did you go and save all those pictures locally or was it already too late?
    I had to step back from the computer for a few days and compose myself because I was so over-the-top pxssed at the cavalier way Photobucket is dealing with this.

I have a problem trying deal with my personal pictures....I simply can't afford to go out and buy memory sticks to recapture my photos, and the computer memory available to me precludes storing them on my home system.

So, my options are limited....There are other photo-hosting sites, but I have a basic mistrust after being dicked around by Photobucket. And, some of the free hosting sites don't allow third-party links, so although it would save the photos from outright deletion, they don't offer any way to share the pictures online in forums.

What I find really appalling is that many builders have shared their construction process with forum viewers and continue to offer long-term help to novices, and it appears that a lot of invaluable content on all guitar forums will be lost once these photo-links are lost.

What I find really appalling is that many builders have shared their construction process with forum viewers and continue to offer long-term help to novices, and it appears that a lot of invaluable content on all guitar forums will be lost once these photo-links are lost.
    This is a big thing, and one of the biggest issues in all of this.
    They did seem to be getting more aggressive with the ads when I have tried to log in.

I had to step back from the computer for a few days and compose myself because I was so over-the-top pxssed at the cavalier way Photobucket is dealing with this.

I have a problem trying deal with my personal pictures....I simply can't afford to go out and buy memory sticks to recapture my photos, and the computer memory available to me precludes storing them on my home system.

So, my options are limited....There are other photo-hosting sites, but I have a basic mistrust after being dicked around by Photobucket. And, some of the free hosting sites don't allow third-party links, so although it would save the photos from outright deletion, they don't offer any way to share the pictures online in forums.

Doesn't your computer have a hard drive with space on it? If not, faced with the risk of losing all your photos I'd probably advise you to attempt to get an external hard drive and bite the bullet on cost this one time. Believe me the $100 for an external hard drive (or whatever they cost) will be a small price to pay to save every photo you've ever taken from oblivion...

And if your back is really to the wall, see if a local friend will store them on his hard drive until you get things sorted out- you do not want all your data lost...

Doesn't your computer have a hard drive with space on it? If not, faced with the risk of losing all your photos I'd probably advise you to attempt to get an external hard drive and bite the bullet on cost this one time. Believe me the $100 for an external hard drive (or whatever they cost) will be a small price to pay to save every photo you've ever taken from oblivion...

And if your back is really to the wall, see if a local friend will store them on his hard drive until you get things sorted out- you do not want all your data lost...
    I'm concerned that storing pictures in the computer will slow it down more to a point where it's really impairing the operating speed. An external hard drive might be a better alternative, but the cost is beyond me at the moment. Heck, if I had extra cash right now, I'd be spending it at the dentists office getting some badly needed work done. Priorities......