Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong with Current Musical Instruments?

What's Wrong with Current Musical Instruments?

The provocative title is for an article I cam across recently.
    The author is a maker of electronic instruments--so like us all has a bias--and it's probably different than the ones here.
    But still an interesting read, even though I would disagree with some of it.
    What's Wrong with Current Musical Instruments?
    Any thoughts?

I have some I will share--but want to see what others here think.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

No thoughts on this?
    offended?
    Agree?
    Disagree?
    Disappointed he didn't point out disadvantages of electronic instruments--no matter what cool things they may be able to do?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

There is nothing to be offended about here but I seriously doubt this article would convince anyone scrap what they currently play to change to his product. It doesn't quite work like that.

And yes, he doesn't talk at all about what inherent disadvantages electronic instruments have,,,

What would you include in such a list of disadvantages of electronic instruments?
    It sounds like he is trying to deal with some of them (In other parts of his website)

But the biggest drawback is needing power--so if there is a power outage and you don't have a way of using batteries.
    Or you run out of batteries.

If I am home I can still play a guitar or bass without plugging it.
    I can't record or check out effects & all that--but I sit back & strum or noodle or riff, or all of those & more.
    Meanwhile the electronic instrument is useless.

But I know people who love hem--and nothing wrong with having options.

but they all have their pros & cons.
    (For example--I hate changing strings.)

Ok, this is my gripe... and it's not to do with the device itself, but that he refers to it as an instrument. I love all things electronic, I love all things that make sound, and I'm no stranger to midi controllers. I'm pretty liberal (I think) in what I define as a music instrument, but I would never consider a midi controller an instrument, regardless of it's form. I would consider it to be a tool, because they don't synthesis sound, they signal a separate device to activate whatever you happen to set that key for, and that's it. Now, a midi controller can be used to create new and interesting sounds when paired with another midi device, but on it's own it's like having the strings for a guitar, with the guitar being somewhere else.

Biggest disadvantage to this specific midi controller for ours and earlier generations... no tactile feedback (from what I can see). We like to feel things move beneath our fingers. It's like a confirmation that our intended action actually took place. The smart phone generation will probably have less of an issue with this, as they depend more on visual cues rather than tactile cues.

Now, the drum machine that he makes. That seems like a nice piece of equipment, and I would call it an instrument... Judging from the video, it could probably be a big hit on the EDM scene, giving the producer of that genre a little difference in tone (would you believe they debate on forums about which device has the 'best' tone, timber and warmth, etc as well?).

The biggest disadvantage to synthesis is that it never sounds natural. Any natural sounding 'synth' is usually playing a sample stored in it's bank, and not actually synthesizing the waveform.

I believe synthesis has it's place, but I don't think it will ever transpose a natural instrument.

That being said, I'm sure people where having the same arguments when guitars became amplified and took over the Sax's position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    The biggest disadvantage to synthesis is that it never sounds natural.
    Agree 100%. I cannot imagine any midi controller ever being able to faithfully represent the many nuances of a trumpet (for example)...

Good points Mike.
    Those points are part of why it's not my thing--mostly why not.
    But They're out there.
    Let people have their toys.
    they have become more interactive so their is more of a human element to them--but a lot of the time people seem to just program them & then lose part or all of the that element

I seriously doubt any player would ever read his article and say "you know, this guy is right- I will hang up my horn (or other instrument) and simply play the midi controller on gigs from now on"

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I seriously doubt any player would ever read his article and say "you know, this guy is right- I will hang up my horn (or other instrument) and simply play the midi controller on gigs from now on"
    maybe if they experience a physical or health disability--and the Linnstrument is one way they can still make music...

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    maybe if they experience a physical or health disability--and the Linnstrument is one way they can still make music...
    Maybe but horn players are like guitar players. You get the "bug" for your instruments...