Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 Innovators Who Weren't Musicians That Changed How We Play Music

Fred Gretsch Sr. is on the list--but more for the drum construction stuff he did.
    The company as a whole hasn't had much impact on me as a player--but definitely has had a n impact on music I listen to--many rock & pop songs use Gretsches (As well as otehr genres I don't listen to, or that I don't listen to as much)
    Also there is their role in the development of the humbucking pickup.

But as to drums it affects us indirectly at least if we play with drummers.
    And if you are a drummer it certainly has had an impact on you--especially if you play a kit.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Next on the list is Bob Moog--in some corners he is not liked--other he is celebrated
    But whichever end of that --or wherever in between-- you fall, he did influence things.
    Certainly the theremin--which he didn't invent--has had an impact
    But more so the synths he designed/made

How many times have I been told the newest synth/tech will make the guitar obsolete?

Well too many to count--It's still here & I still play it--but it did affect music & scare people as well--so an impact for sure.

Of course some learned how to make them co-exist as well.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

The last one on the list is Joseph Rogers.
    Not much impact on us--in a sense.
    But it does affect us if we play with drummers.

& I like checking out other instruments--and what kind of gear they have...
    So I do read drum magazines at times.

So just wanted to complete the list.

So did they miss anybody?

Nikola Tesla?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Nikola Tesla?
    Okay--maybe not a musician--but what instrument did he invent, develop, build, popularize, etc?

Oh, and I was going to mention one of the 6 would have celebrated a birthday on Thursday, if he were still with us...

Clarence Leonidas Fender...

Ah but the title is "6 Innovators Who Weren't Musicians That Changed How We Play Music"- this doesn't say anywhere that he had to develop or build an instrument.

Certainly the vacuum tube (and the amplifier) changed the way we play music

Ah but the title is "6 Innovators Who Weren't Musicians That Changed How We Play Music"- this doesn't say anywhere that he had to develop or build an instrument.

Certainly the vacuum tube (and the amplifier) changed the way we play music
    Certainly not belittling his contributions--but I felt it was outside of the scope of the article itself--even if you saw an overlap with the title.
    If Tesla had made musical instrument amplifiers he would belong with the others--but he can be in a secondary group whose contributions are removed by at least one additional step.

I think Ted McCarty could also have been included--he ran Gibson during their golden years--helped develop the Tune-O-Matic bridge and was behind many other design & functional developments & changes that gave us some classic guitars. (Les Paul, semi hollow ES series, humbuckers, Explorer, Flying V, Moderne & Firebird among others)
    He didn't develop these all on his own, but with others, but he oversaw them and also contributed t their development & made the decisions to move forward with them--although some weren't successful right off the bat--they caught on later--you could say in some ways he was ahead of his time.

I wonder how much the invention of the phonograph contributed to changing how musicians play music. For the first time a musicians could listen to a record over and over to learn what was going on

I wonder how much the invention of the phonograph contributed to changing how musicians play music. For the first time a musicians could listen to a record over and over to learn what was going on
    In terms of learning songs & techniques--certainly--and now with all the digital options available--even more so

Did you know that when recording music first became a thing the musician unions opposed it.
    One reason was they thought it could endanger live gigs & thus jobs.
    Another was radio broadcasts of music were performed live on the air
    So there was a fear of loss of jobs--which of course did happen.

And there was a fear of loss of a major revenue source--sheet music.