Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 Innovators Who Weren't Musicians That Changed How We Play Music

6 Innovators Who Weren't Musicians That Changed How We Play Music

6 Innovators Who Weren't Musicians That Changed How We Play Music

Interesting article I thought I'd share--maybe not all of them affected you directly--but indirectly I'd say each one has--even if it is only in the music you hear in movies, TV, ads, radio, in stores, or in public areas
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Neat article...

As guitar players we have most likely been the most impacted by Martin & Fender, but even the others have had an impact.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Probably Fender more than Martin however. The mass produced, solid-body guitar really was an enormous game-changer.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Probably Fender more than Martin however. The mass produced, solid-body guitar really was an enormous game-changer.
    For those of us here--mis likely--we are more weighted towards electric than acoustic--even though I think most of us own & play both.

Fender would also have the impact of the P-Bass.

While he did not invent the solid body electric guitar or electric fretted bass he was the first to successfully mass produce them and they were the first successful ones on a large scale--with many imitators.

But in the acoustic world--which would also impact the electric world, Martin was a significant contributor.
    For those that play primarily or exclusively acoustic guitar Martin was a the bigger impact on their world.
    (With the possible exception of classical & flamenco players)

You think MArtin was that influential in the acoustic space? I mean, sure they are great guitars but there are/ were plenty of great acoustic guitar producers

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    You think MArtin was that influential in the acoustic space? I mean, sure they are great guitars but there are/ were plenty of great acoustic guitar producers
    They are one of the top brands--there are Martin fans who won't play anything else.

but the point of the article was what non musicians did in the development of musical instruments--and Martin's contributions in history were hugely significant
    The switch to steel strings and other developments in making acoustic guitars--and making them bigger, bracing, etc.
    In the acoustic world they are giants--just as much as Fender is in the electric guitar world.
    You could substitute "Fender" and "electric" in your sentence & ask the same thing about Fender.

But asking it of Martin or Fender severely underestimates both of them.

I was thinking of going to the MArtin factory- it is only 75 minutes from my house

I would have already been there for a tour if I was that close...

Yeah, I've been meaning to go there