Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing guitar for long term

Neophyte

Storing guitar for long term

My boyfriend and I have decided to go for 2 months travel to East Asia. We are only taking a carry bag with us. Iím not taking my guitar with us and need tips for storing my guitar safe. I would like to place it in a climate control storage cabinet. I have gone through many articles to get the tips for storing. It mentions like
    Buy a good case
    Avoid temperature and humidity
    Check periodically
    Is there anything else to bother? Hope that the self-storage unit will be the best. I have yet another question. What about the tension? Should I tighten or loosen the string while storing?

A couple of months staying in the same place shouldn't require loosening the strings--especially one with the climate being controlled.
    What kind of guitar(s)?

Humidity/dryness would probably be a bigger factor--so how is the climate controlled?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I am assuming this is an acoustic guitar?

I wouldn't be so concerned with humidity during the summer and fall months- the real concern would be in the winter when the humidity can go down to 0% (at least by us). I'd put it in a decent case and put it somewhere where the temperature will not get too hot. I would not detune the strings- I see no advantage in doing that for only 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I am assuming this is an acoustic guitar?

I wouldn't be so concerned with humidity during the summer and fall months- the real concern would be in the winter when the humidity can go down to 0% (at least by us). I'd put it in a decent case and put it somewhere where the temperature will not get too hot. I would not detune the strings- I see no advantage in doing that for only 2 months.
    Well some places in the summer get too humid & so a dehumidifier may be needed...
    So it depends where you are.
    & a climate controlled environment may make either unnecessary, may...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Well some places in the summer get too humid & so a dehumidifier may be needed...
    So it depends where you are.
    & a climate controlled environment may make either unnecessary, may...
    True, it gets very humid here in summer but my basement is generally around 50-60% with dehumidifier

I live in a much more stable climate as far as humidity goes--but yes others have wild swings in the humidity where they are--so any advice in that case has to take that into account

hoping she comes back to tell us what kind of guitar it is, at least generally

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    hoping she comes back to tell us what kind of guitar it is, at least generally
    Well yes it would be cool to have some new members stick around & all that--but maybe she just wanted some answers & she got them.

we may never know......

I'm also interested in this as I really cant decide if I'll bring my AmPro tele and my G5420T. I really want to because I will be spending most of my money for house and possibly a car. so a guitar purchase is the least of my priority but if I bring it with me, then I wont worry too much as I got great guitars that I can use if I find a church to serve in.

But If I do leave it, I'll probably change all the strings to new ones and tune them properly and store it in my sister's room where it wont see any sun and will always be cool. Im thinking that if those vintage-museum grade guitars are still okay 50 years after storing them, I see no problem with modern guitars. but Im not too sure on a full hollow like my G5420T though.