Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Melbourne!

Melbourne!

I'm now here in Melbourne! Starting my first day at work! It's quite busy at the moment but over time, I will fill this thread with pictures and stuff about Melbourne.

Hope you'll enjoy it!

Cool--I'd like to visit down there some day--looking forward to the pics & stories.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Congratulations on your new start- did you bring a couple guitars after all?

I ended up selling all my guitars except my American Pro to fund my dog's fees to go to the US. I may also need to sell my American Pro in the Philippines to pay a few loans I made and have a few bucks sent from the sale to me here in Oz.

Although AUD is still weaker than the USD, it is still a hell lot stronger than the Ph Peso. so my savings are kind of worth almost nothing. LOL

Im on a company sponsored accommodation for 1 month and after that I have to find my own place. My current hotel is around 1km to my work place but its always nice to walk as a lot of people walk to work too. but I bought a bike so that a 25min walk turns into a 10min ride. I love the cold weather, but my immune system cannot cope with the weather changes, I still have to adjust and adapt.

4 seasons in a day. It is true. so never leave without your umbrella.

Here are a few pics of my walk to and from work. Will post more photos soon.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    I ended up selling all my guitars except my American Pro to fund my dog's fees to go to the US. I may also need to sell my American Pro in the Philippines to pay a few loans I made and have a few bucks sent from the sale to me here in Oz.

Although AUD is still weaker than the USD, it is still a hell lot stronger than the Ph Peso. so my savings are kind of worth almost nothing. LOL

Im on a company sponsored accommodation for 1 month and after that I have to find my own place. My current hotel is around 1km to my work place but its always nice to walk as a lot of people walk to work too. but I bought a bike so that a 25min walk turns into a 10min ride. I love the cold weather, but my immune system cannot cope with the weather changes, I still have to adjust and adapt.

4 seasons in a day. It is true. so never leave without your umbrella.

Here are a few pics of my walk to and from work. Will post more photos soon.

Cool pictures.
    Hopefully you can sort out the guitar thing after you find a place & get settled in.

(We get 4 seasons in a day here in Canada as well)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Thanks for the pix!

I'm sure you will get settled quickly. I can only imagine the stress of starting over but a year from now the Philippines will be a distant memory

It may or may not interest you, but here's the cool bike I bought. I always wanted one of these but its so much expensive in the Philippines. I also love Fixed gear/single speed bikes and the simplicity of it. It's current configuration is Single Speed, meaning it will coast if you stop peddling. I had my bike in the Philippines as fixed when I first got it and it flipped me over and got a bad bruise. So, yeah, I'm still going to practice riding fixed, but the point of riding fixed is to be simple and not have breaks, but it is illegal not to have breaks here. so I'll just use it as a single speed and enjoy the ride.

Here's my Fuji Feather. It's not the best, but it gets the job done in style and it can be an entry level bike for the velodrome, if I ever get interested on it. LOL.

We also went to St Kilda Beach to see the docks and also have a little fun with our bikes. It's super cold here. I'll take better pictures next time, it's just too cold I cant really focus on taking photos! It's spring now actually, but you know, a Filo is used to high heat and humid environment, I'll adapt soon.

That's a different bike right there. the funny thing was, I bought the wrong sized bike. too big for me. put it up on gumtree, took a $50 loss just to move it and get a pro-fitting and right sized frame, which is the Fuji Feather above. the pink bike is my wife's! Melbourne has rolling terrain so she needs gears to power her up through the flats and make it easier for her on the hilly areas.

Here's a view of the Prahran Market. (I'll take more photos soon as we go here quite often because of the good selection of anti-pasti and cheeses.

Here's one pic of the famed Chapel Street. This is one part of Melbourne where all hipstores are at. some local clothing stores which sells australian made goods, which is expensive but pretty nice. and some foreign brands. I'll take more photos of this street more over time so you can see the interesting things here. lots of homeless people too.

Also, it's a drinking culture here. Drinks every friday. on the rooftop of our office. Man, I'm loving this place already.

I like the bike, IAITB. If it was a guitar, it would be a Tele, lol. There's a lot to be said for design simplicty.

Really happy to hear you're liking it there.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I like the bike, IAITB. If it was a guitar, it would be a Tele, lol. There's a lot to be said for design simplicty.

Really happy to hear you're liking it there.
    HAHAHA!

I guess that's true. simple, no frills. just enjoy the ride and in context of a guitar, enjoy making music without the fuss.

Also, nailed down a property I can rent near my office. getting a property to rent here is like any job application. You have to apply, submit all your applications to a lot of realtors and hope for the best. I got 2 weeks remaining on the free accommodation so I took the first one that I got accepted. I was rejected on around 5 properties though.

Its nice a condo 2 br flat, with floor to ceiling windows and have a nice balcony. its AUD 490/wk, a bit steep but for a 2br and on a location just practically a few steps away from my main office, I can live with the price.

good thing Im working on the site office, which is still around 500m from where I will live so I will still get to ride my bike everyday.

Wow--I haven't ridden a real bike in years--that might give me incentive...