• The Next Generation

1 25.00%
  • Deep Space 9

0 0%
  • Voyager

1 25.00%
  • Enterprise

0 0%
  • Latest movies (With original crew, new actors)

1 25.00%
  • Discovery

0 0%
  • Galaxy Quest (Not official--but it was a Star Trek)

1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranking Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    If you include GQ in between insurrection and nemesis (even though it's not technically start trek), the even/ odd curse holds true all the way to Into darkness
    Well no for me--I like all three of the reboot movies--It does apply to the first 6 for sure...
    Although III is okay...
    1-The Original Series--
    Tomorrow is yesterday
    That was a good one as well.

I love how in trible-ations, they ask Worf why klingons didn't have forehead ridges and he gets embarrassed. I like it even more how the lack of ridges was explained later in enterprise
    Much better--and doesn't open up new possible continuity issues--which are confounded by Discovery
    "Dead Stop" is up there as one of my favorites
    Inetresting premise in that one.

Interesting. First Contact is probably the only one I can watch multiple times out of the the TNG movies
    I find it annoying & the biggest example of the tendency I saw in TNG to tear down TOS to build themselves up.
    They could have found a way to tell that story & still built on their history--not rewrote it.
    well that & many of the performances were annoying.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I find it annoying & the biggest example of the tendency I saw in TNG to tear down TOS to build themselves up.
    They could have found a way to tell that story & still built on their history--not rewrote it.
    well that & many of the performances were annoying.
    Interesting perspective. I didn't quite see it as tearing down TOS, although they did force themselves into the history to 'set their flag', so to speak. I saw it more as an example of how history in general glorifies/ immortalizes/ worships ordinary men/ women and skews the facts to make them appear great when they are nothing more than ordinary people who made / discovered a great thing.

It does have that typical time travel quagmire of paradoxes... Like would the flight have happened if the enterprise hadn't been there? or did it happen because the enterprise was there? and since we know that the flight and first contact did happen, how could the enterprise see a borg society on Earth in the future if the borg were defeated in the past? Does this mean there is a timeline where the flight didn't happen and the borg suceeded?

This is why I can watch it multiple times... there are so many possibilities that it can make your head hurt.

Interesting perspective. I didn't quite see it as tearing down TOS, although they did force themselves into the history to 'set their flag', so to speak. I saw it more as an example of how history in general glorifies/ immortalizes/ worships ordinary men/ women and skews the facts to make them appear great when they are nothing more than ordinary people who made / discovered a great thing.

It does have that typical time travel quagmire of paradoxes... Like would the flight have happened if the enterprise hadn't been there? or did it happen because the enterprise was there? and since we know that the flight and first contact did happen, how could the enterprise see a borg society on Earth in the future if the borg were defeated in the past? Does this mean there is a timeline where the flight didn't happen and the borg suceeded?

This is why I can watch it multiple times... there are so many possibilities that it can make your head hurt.
    It just seemed so gratuitous and several of the performances came across as smug to me--especially Riker.
    Now was Kirk smug?
    Maybe--but he backed it up much better and was more vulnerable.
    Eitehr way he didn't come across as annoying.

they could have told the story without all that bashing...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

just read a thing about casting Chris Pine as Kirk in the newer movies--they wanted someone like Shatner who could play cocky but loveable--& I think they did that.
    And it reminded me of my comment in the previous post...

So anybody else watched Discovery?
    I am interested to see how Rainn Wilson does playing Harry Mudd...

Very close to giving up on Discovery...

If it wasn't called Star Trek I might like it better, but too convoluted & too many leaps of co-incidence...

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Very close to giving up on Discovery...

If it wasn't called Star Trek I might like it better, but too convoluted & too many leaps of co-incidence...
    Yeah, I decided to beat the rush and quit watching Discovery half-way through the first episode. They seem to think they can improve on the Star Trek formula, but really they're just perverting it. There's not much there for anybody that liked the early series.

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Well they have messed around with the Klingons before--but these are not just unrecognizable as Klingons visually, but how they act.

Gave up half way through one episode--sloppy & lazy writing, and characters with no chemistry...
    So no more Discovery of that sort for me.

I caught a couple of episodes of the Orville--much more worthy of being a Star Trek show--the influences are obvious, but they are free to do their own thing.
    Fun show--I may have to check out more episodes.