• The Next Generation

1 25.00%
  • Deep Space 9

0 0%
  • Voyager

1 25.00%
  • Enterprise

0 0%
  • Latest movies (With original crew, new actors)

1 25.00%
  • Discovery

0 0%
  • Galaxy Quest (Not official--but it was a Star Trek)

1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranking Star Trek

Ranking Star Trek

SO I will list my preferences from first to last of the following:
    Star Trek (Original Series)
    Star Trek Animated
    Original Cast/Series movies
    The NExt Generation
    Deep Space Nine
    Voyager
    Enterprise
    Newer/New-ish Movies (Kirk/Spock McCoy version)

if you make a list you can add Discovery--I haven't watched it yet--have it PVRed though.
    & there will be a poll--so you can vote on that as well.
    But leave your thoughts, rankings, etc...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

The TV shows are probably my preference. I like all the original cast movies, but they wear thin if I see them often. I seem to be able to watch the TV series Star Trek, Next Generation, and Voyager over and over. I don't give two hoots for any of the rest of the ST stuff.

Except Grace Lee Whitney......
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    The TV shows are probably my preference. I like all the original cast movies, but they wear thin if I see them often. I seem to be able to watch the TV series Star Trek, Next Generation, and Voyager over and over. I don't give two hoots for any of the rest of the ST stuff.

Except Grace Lee Whitney......
    Well, she was in the original series...

So as promised--my ranking will come after I see the first episode of Discovery--but I will still leave it off my list for now...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I like the original cast movies and show- not very familiar with the newer ones

My order of preference changes from time to time. Back when voyager was on it's first run, it topped the list.

TNG
    Even movies
    DS9
    Original series
    Voyager
    enterprise
    latest movies
    odd movies
    animated series (never really got into the animated)

Haven't seen discovery yet

Interesting to group the even & odd movies--although in my mind that mostly applies only to The Motion Picture Through The Undiscovered Country.

So having watched the first two episodes of Discovery--here is my ranking of the others (& I forgot to include the TNG movies as a separate choice in the poll, as I intended)

1-The Original Series, sure, some cheesiness and all that & special effects that don' always hold up well 50 years later.
    But great characters, great stories (Usually) & some good humour.
    Even a lesser episode is more enjoyable for me than many other series' best episodes.
    2-Original Cast/Series movies--meaning 1-6 here. Sure the odd numbered ones were uneven at best(& I have no desire to watch V ever again--but the rest I will.)
    the even numbered ones--especially II & VI make up for them.
    Wrath of Khan is easily the best of the lot--and some great Star Trek moments
    3-Newer/New-ish Movies (Kirk/Spock McCoy version) I was skeptical that I would like them--but I really do--they won't overtake the originals in my mind--but carry on with great characters & all that--Karl Urban especially does a wonderful job of playing McCoy.
    4-Deep Space Nine--slow start, picked up steam, and sort of limped to the finish line. Really improved when Sisko shaved his head & grew the beard.
    5-Enterprise--Uneven at best--but the good episodes were quite good--and I really like the characters--more than the ones in DS9--but DS9 was more consistent so it edges out Enterprise by a slim margin.
    6-Star Trek Animated-some real cheesy stuff, and really bad animation--but some cool stories & the characters are back--good for a diversion.
    7-TNG movies--uneven as well--and I really dislike First Contact, but I found them more interesting in movie form than TV episode form
    8-The Next Generation-very weak start--started improving gradually though.Wasn't too into any of the characters--but Patrick Stewart did do a wonderful acting job any way.
    9-Voyager--I gave it a shot--and checked in on it here & there after the first season--but I didn't like the characters, and the stories did nothing for me. (Except maybe the one with Sulu in it)

Comments on Discovery so far...

Okay I guess--but I think I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't called Star Trek--and they came up with names other than Klingons, Vulcans, Sarek, etc.
    I mean I like the newer movies & they changed stuff--so it's not really that--but the Klingons are all hairless--which is too weird.
    That was always a defining characteristic for them--even in the original series They sort of act the same though.

And yes I don't expect them to duplicate the look--but having hologram communications when that didn't even exist in the later TV shows is a bit annoying.
    This story would have taken place after the Cage (The original pilot--flashed back to in a later episode)--so Spock is out there with Captain Pike.
    I'm not sure how to fit the Sarek subplot into things with the original series for that reason--maybe they will deal with that.
    But for now it sticks out.
    I'm okay with the uniforms--but since this would have happened after the Cage and in the second Trek pilot with Kirk they wear the same uniforms--it's a little jarring--but I can overlook that.
    But still it would have been nice to have seen more of a nod to the original series in at least some of the visuals--or even a nod to Enterprise.

these things aren't the most important things--but they distract form the story & characters-so if it wasn't called Star Trek--but was a new universe--well--that wouldn't be as distracting--sure I'd pick up on the similarities to Star Trek, but that's easier to deal with.

I'll give it another shot or two though-(at least)-and see if the characters develop to overcome those distractions.

& How about the best episode/movie of each...

1-The Original Series--tough pick with some classics--so for the purpose of this list-many form the last half of season one & first half of season two--How About Amok Time or Space Seed...
    2-Original Cast/Series movies--Wrath of Khan is easily the best of the lot
    3-Newer/New-ish Movies (Kirk/Spock McCoy version) --Could be a three way tie--but so many fun & fan moments on Beyond...
    4-Deep Space Nine--Trials & Tribble-ations (Featuring scenes from TOS--especially- Trouble with Tribbles)--although the Magnificent Ferengi & Little Green Men were a lot of un as well)
    5-Enterprise--hmm-no huge standouts--but Terra Prime was a real good one.
    6-Star Trek Animated-Yesteryear--where Spock goes back in time & meets himself as a child--and references events in TOS
    7-TNG movies--Anything other than First Contact--so probably Generations--although dropping the bridge on Kirk was a big letdown. Give the man a death scene worthy of his overacting!
    8-The Next Generation-Relics--(The return of Scotty)
    9-Voyager--maybe the one with Sulu in it

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Interesting to group the even & odd movies--although in my mind that mostly applies only to The Motion Picture Through The Undiscovered Country.
    If you include GQ in between insurrection and nemesis (even though it's not technically start trek), the even/ odd curse holds true all the way to Into darkness

1-The Original Series--tough pick with some classics--so for the purpose of this list-many form the last half of season one & first half of season two--How About Amok Time or Space Seed...
    Tomorrow is yesterday
    2-Original Cast/Series movies--Wrath of Khan is easily the best of the lot
    Yes
    3-Newer/New-ish Movies (Kirk/Spock McCoy version) --Could be a three way tie--but so many fun & fan moments on Beyond...
    4-Deep Space Nine--Trials & Tribble-ations (Featuring scenes from TOS--especially- Trouble with Tribbles)--although the Magnificent Ferengi & Little Green Men were a lot of un as well)
    I love how in trible-ations, they ask Worf why klingons didn't have forehead ridges and he gets embarrassed. I like it even more how the lack of ridges was explained later in enterprise
    5-Enterprise--hmm-no huge standouts--but Terra Prime was a real good one.
    "Dead Stop" is up there as one of my favorites
    6-Star Trek Animated-Yesteryear--where Spock goes back in time & meets himself as a child--and references events in TOS
    7-TNG movies--Anything other than First Contact--so probably Generations--although dropping the bridge on Kirk was a big letdown. Give the man a death scene worthy of his overacting!
    Interesting. Fist Contact is probably the only one I can watch multiple times out of the the TNG movies
    8-The Next Generation-Relics--(The return of Scotty)
    Yes
    9-Voyager--maybe the one with Sulu in it
    My favorite voyager episodes where when Kim and Paris did Captain proton in Chaotica episodes. I know a lot of people didn't like them, but I loved them. Also 'Faces' ranks pretty high for me in this series

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    .......My favorite voyager episodes where when Kim and Paris did Captain proton in Chaotica episodes. I know a lot of people didn't like them, but I loved them.......
    I like the Voyager series. It holds up well as far as following the story lines that originated in TOS and STNG, and somehow it seems more credible than any of the DS9 or Enterprise. However, there are only a few things on ST Voyager that really bother me, and Captain Proton tops the list. I can't see any appeal unless you're a dyed-in-the-wool 50's science fiction buff. I'm not, and if I was watching on a device that had a fast forward, I'd use it.

I have an appreciation for the way most of the early movies were handled. The movies tended to have distinct plot lines, unlike a lot of modern films that just serve up the same stuff over and over. For the most part, anything after the first Star Trek blunder movie tends to be good stand-alone entertainment.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."