Page 350 of 399 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351352360 ... LastLast
Results 3,491 to 3,500 of 3984

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I don't doubt the claim, but I seriously doubt you could see 100 miles with the naked eye
    https://www.livescience.com/33895-human-eye.html

The Earth's surface curves out of sight at a distance of 3.1 miles, or 5 kilometers. But our visual acuity extends far beyond the horizon. If Earth were flat, or if you were standing atop a mountain surveying a larger-than-usual patch of the planet, you could perceive bright lights hundreds of miles distant. On a dark night, you could even see a candle flame flickering up to 30 mi. (48 km) away.
    they think it's possible--you do have height working for you when you go up to their observatories.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Yeah well the WTC and Empire State Building certainly do have the advantage of height

Yeah well the WTC and Empire State Building certainly do have the advantage of height
    Well that was kind of their point--I wonder what the next closest state would be--without looking at a map.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Next closest to WTC and Empire State? Definitely NJ, followed by CT. PA, Delaware, Maryland and Massachusetts would all be fairly similar distances

Next closest to WTC and Empire State? Definitely NJ, followed by CT. PA, Delaware, Maryland and Massachusetts would all be fairly similar distances
    I meant the closest after the 5--New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania & Massachusetts

So you figure Delaware or Maryland?

I didn't feel like checking a map.

Well I live ~30 miles outside Manhattan so the answer would be pretty much the same from my house. Going south, Delaware and MD you can be in by car in less than 3 hours, Virginia and DC (although not a state) would be a little more. Going north, Massachusetts can also be gotten to in ~3 hours and RI would be closer to 4 hours.

Well I live ~30 miles outside Manhattan so the answer would be pretty much the same from my house. Going south, Delaware and MD you can be in by car in less than 3 hours, Virginia and DC (although not a state) would be a little more. Going north, Massachusetts can also be gotten to in ~3 hours and RI would be closer to 4 hours.
    Thanks for the input--if I ever make it down that way I will keep it in mind.
    In Canada it can take a while to leave one province for another--unless you're in the Maritimes--or right by the border.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Thanks for the input--if I ever make it down that way I will keep it in mind.
    I doubt that knowledge would serve you well even if you were to visit this area- what state you are in is only important relative to the attractions/ destinations you are going to...

..............What state you are in is only important relative to the attractions/ destinations you are going to...
    So, if I'm in a state of intoxication and my house is in a state of disarray, will be I able to see the Empire State Building?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    So, if I'm in a state of intoxication and my house is in a state of disarray, will be I able to see the Empire State Building?

Only if you are in a state of delusion--as it is clear across the continent...