Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Know anything about cars? I dont

Know anything about cars? I dont

So, getting all settled and starting back to zero is pretty much a very challenging situation, and recently Ive been looking into cars.

i dont have a budget and Im just looking for something old, not beaten up, but still in working condition. I know the saying that it's better to pay extra than getting all these cars working, but what if i dont have extra?

Its just a first car, and I dont need anything shiny. Just something to get us around Australia and get out of town for once. I dont need to use a car for work as I can take my bike and 10mins later, viola, Im in the office.

what do you know about buying second hand cars below $1000? how was your first car growing up and starting your married/family life?

any tips you can share?

I'm not up on the Australian market--but if buying used--get a garage check by a place that doesn't do repairs --if possible--it could save you lots of grief.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

At less than $1000 you're really in a difficult price point. Probably I'd advise you to look at the subcompacts like a Ford Fiesta or similar but you are looking at a price point that is little more than scrap value for a car.

Agree with Zontar however that whatever you get it has to be checked out by a mechanic.

I'm in somewhat the same position as you....not knowing enough to be able to fix what goes wrong...so, I have sympathy for your position. I've often had people say to me that when you buy a cheap car, you're buying someone else's troubles. This seems to be true in my experience. My best suggestion is to look online....not at cars for sale, but at service histories. The Internet's been around long enough for you to be able to see records of how these vehicles fared as new car. You'll probably be able to glean information on what part of a vehicle was it's weak spot and how frequently service was needed on different things. No car is perfect, but it'll give you a better idea what to look for on each vehicle. Best of luck in your search.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

In the US we have a magazine called Consumer Reports that rates used cars (and new) fairly regularly. Check to see if there is a similar publication near you

There are a few reports on Cars here on Au. I can even hire guys from RACV, a car club that can check everything that needs to be checked for it to be road worthy, for a price. and its not thorough as well.

You want something thorough by an honest evaluator that is not associated with the seller as well
    Find that right place & it's worth every penny
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Honestly I'd have to ask if a $1000 car is even worth the trouble you will have with it. Unless someone you know like at your church is selling one.

I have a family friend of ours here in Melbourne that knows a lot of Filipino mechanics back when Toyota was still manufacturing cars here. (Unfortunately, there are no more car manufacturing plants here, all moved to thailand or somewhere in Asia, toyota was the 2nd to the last factory that closed here last month)

Filipino mechanics are good with Toyotas, and other cars that are japanese. Im not sure if I can trust them with a european car, say a volvo (which happens to be affordable used, around 3k aud), or a bmw. those two european cars are the most popular in the cheap price range, but if the "honest" descriptions are to be trusted, most of them have issues with the timing belt, radiator or even sometimes, a blown head gasket.

My co workers say that its better to pay extra than to buy something worthwhile. I know in my mind its probably not a good idea spending less than a thousand for something to just use for long drives, because it might fail while in the middle of nowhere!

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    ............Im not sure if I can trust them with a european car, say a Volvo (which happens to be affordable used, around 3k aud), or a BMW.............
    I'd have some concerns about either a Volvo or a BMW as choices for an inexpensive car. Maybe it's different in Australia, but both of those brands are expensive to repair here, not just labour, but also the cost of parts. One of my coworkers just bought a used 735i BMW that needed a battery. A standard battery costs under 100.00, but the BMW battery, which has be a specific size, profile, and terminal arrangement is almost 500.00. Years ago when I was flipping cars, I gave Volvos a wide berth because parts were really pricey. Buying the car's one thing....It's another issue to be able to afford to maintain it.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."