Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it the end for Gibson?

It appears that the only way to save the name is if someone acquires it & starts fresh. Through time companies get way too fat upstairs trying to pay too many high salaries. It starts slow at first but through time they become forced to become bigger & bigger to keep the share holders happy until they price there way out the the market. They should have scaled back 20 years ago but they didn't & now they've pretty much drove the name till the wheels fell off. They make way too many products & lost there way of what gave them the name in the 1st place. Which was quality & have had to switch to quantity trying to continue being way bigger then they can support. Fender isn't in much better shape.
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    It appears that the only way to save the name is if someone acquires it & starts fresh. Through time companies get way too fat upstairs trying to pay too many high salaries. It starts slow at first but through time they become forced to become bigger & bigger to keep the share holders happy until they price there way out the the market. They should have scaled back 20 years ago but they didn't & now they've pretty much drove the name till the wheels fell off. They make way too many products & lost there way of what gave them the name in the 1st place. Which was quality & have had to switch to quantity trying to continue being way bigger then they can support. Fender isn't in much better shape.
    That's anoher reason why Heritage buying the name seems to fit
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    That's anoher reason why Heritage buying the name seems to fit
    I totally agree.
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa.

This subject's being kicked around all over the 'net, and it seems most people are discussing what happens after Gibson bites it, as if it's a foregone conclusion. I saw an interview with Henry J earlier, but he seems to be looking at bigger picture of guitar sales in general and online vs brick and mortar. It's strange, but on some points, he pretty much nails it.....Too bad he got it so wrong with Gibson.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

In some ways he blames brick & mortar
    But their problems may stem from how they have treated smaller retailers
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I just read that Heritage has recently downsized, with fourteen fewer workers. It was accompanied by a statement " “Our focus on building a foundation for 2018 and beyond requires an emphasis on quality over quantity." That doesn't sound like a company that's ready to take control of Gibson. Too bad, although I can admire their goals.

LOL, maybe CBS would like to take another shot at the guitar market. Can you imagine a Les Paul with an oversize CBS headstock?

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I just read that Heritage has recently downsized, with fourteen fewer workers. It was accompanied by a statement " “Our focus on building a foundation for 2018 and beyond requires an emphasis on quality over quantity." That doesn't sound like a company that's ready to take control of Gibson. Too bad, although I can admire their goals.

LOL, maybe CBS would like to take another shot at the guitar market. Can you imagine a Les Paul with an oversize CBS headstock?
    Norlin era Les Pauls sometiems had larger headstocks.
    But yeah--too bad about heritage--maybe somebody could buy them both...

Lots of grim news in the guitar business these days.....I've been reading a bit more about the problems at Heritage. Apparently, Heritage was bought from the original owners by a realty company. Basically, it's another hand-off to people that aren't guitar people. The latest development is their decision to streamline by laying off ten of the original and most experienced workers, followed by four additional key people quitting in protest over the layoffs. The new owners are planning to start CNCing everything, reasoning that if everything's done by machines, they can get by with less staff. (Probably sounds good to the bean-counters). So, in a sense, Heritage is going through their own CBS-style crisis right now.

Well it was a sale to a beer company that led to Gibson's Norlin era
    (Kind of simplified)

Well they have filed for Chapter 11--or however you want to word it--already happened--we just hadn't mentioned it...
    Gibson, maker of famed Les Paul guitar, in Chapter 11 bankruptcy