Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it the end for Gibson?

What I'm hearing about Gibson continuing to operate under Chapter 11 makes me think they may survive without having to liquidate the guitar portion of the company.

I'm going to predict that if they survive, the guitars we'll see in the next few years will probably be better QC'ed, and there'll likely be more of the traditional instruments that we appreciate, and less of the "innovative" features like the electronic tuners on the regular line, and the weird psychedelic finishes on high end instruments.

In a strange twist of fate, this might be the thing that turns Gibson back into a respected and committed guitar manufacturer.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post

In a strange twist of fate, this might be the thing that turns Gibson back into a respected and committed guitar manufacturer.
    Certainly is possible--although one of the criticisms they have faced at different points (Even when owne by CMI & Norlin)-is that they were innovative--just the same old, same old.

Although sometiems they did innovate in good ways--although some caught on quickly--some took a number of years (Les Pauls, & even more the Flying V & Explorer
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Gibson (at least the guitars) are not going anywhere.
    ****Please check out some of my music****
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=789610

I could never understand why Gibson didn't build an SG thinline. It seems like it would have been a natural contender against Tele Thinline, and possibly address the neck-diver issues that some people complain about with SG's.

I could never understand why Gibson didn't build an SG thinline. It seems like it would have been a natural contender against Tele Thinline, and possibly address the neck-diver issues that some people complain about with SG's.
    How would making the body lighter help with neckdive?
    Just wondering...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    How would making the body lighter help with neckdive?
    Just wondering...
    Generally, Tele thinlines aren't any lighter than solid bodies. In fact, I've found they're often on the heavier side.

Generally, Tele thinlines aren't any lighter than solid bodies. In fact, I've found they're often on the heavier side.
    then they must used heavier wood for the thinlines than the solidbodies--as less wood of equal weight should equal less weight...

A quick look at guitar weights on the Sweetwater website, Tele thinlines look to be "on average" at least a pound lighter than standard bodied Teles of different sorts.
    ****Please check out some of my music****
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=789610

Mike Robinson of Eastwood guitars adds his thoughts

Interesting article on not only Gibson's situation, but on the guitar business in general--and on greed...