Thread: Need DVD advice

Need DVD advice

I know absolutely nothing about DVD's. I've owned a stand-alone DVD player for years and never used it. I just bought a disc on eBay and thought I'd try to play it through the computer. This is where I'm lost...

When I insert the DVD, the screen switches to Windows Media Player, and the disc is identified by title. That's all that'll happen. Pushing play doesn't start it.

I've tried loading another disc (the electronic manual for my TV) and I get an image, so I assume the disc drive in the computer tower works.

I tried hooking up the DVD player to the TV, but it doesn't seem to load the disc properly to be able to play it, so I guess that's out.

Any more suggestions on how to solve this? I waited almost two decades to get a copy of this movie, so I'm pretty disappointed that it looks like I don't get to see it.

This DVD came from Korea, but is listed as NTSC, so I'm assuming there's not a compatability problem.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Well, I may have answered my own question. I spent hours hooking up all my old computers trying to get this DVD to play. Also borrowed a home computer and a laptop from the landlord to try, but haven't had any success. I think this is simply a pooched DVD......Luck of the draw, but frustrating after spending so many years looking for it. Plus, the cost of shipping it back to Korea for exchange or refund makes it economically unfeasible to keep chasing this issue.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."