Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three more days

Three more days

Legalization comes to Canada in three days. Does this provide the subject with some legitimacy to discuss?

I ask for a couple of reasons.....There seem to be as many active Canadian members as there are people from the US and elsewhere, so this is really of interest here. (It's hard to watch a network newcast without hearing something about October 17th) Also, I tend to see AxeTalkers in more positive terms than many of the forum rats elsewhere on the web, which I think means we're capable of restraint and it wouldn't necessarily lead to troll-driven trainwreck threads.

I'm a member of most of the GearTalk forums, but I haven't seen this subject addressed elsewhere. I'd just like to know what forum policy is on this, so mistakes in protocol are sidestepped.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Sure we can discuss- if it gets out of hand we''ll shut it down, but I don't see that happening here.

I have to admit I personally am totally against legalization- I can't see anything good about telling my kids that smoking pot is now okay.
    Last edited by die Bullen; 10-17-2018 at 08:08 PM.

The legalization might have been meaningful to me when I was in my 20's, but nowadays, not so much. I do have reservations about smoking being incompatible with driving. And, I have the usual feeling that somewhere, somebody will screw it up for everybody.

Right now, I'm really tired of hearing about it on Canadian TV news. I'd expect that the media will keep flogging the subject long after it's yesterday's news. This troubles me because I'm a news junkie, and there are so many other stories that don't get as much airtime as they should because the networks are tunnel-visioned on dope.

Under four hours to go.....

I almost feel like I should wait up until midnight, like you would for New Years, LOL.

Amen brother
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I just heard someone else complaining about how it's in the news media all the time & they're sick of hearing about it.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I see constant headlines in the financial newsfeeds about cannabis legalization- so much speculation as to what this will mean and to whom. Will the cigarette companies take over the industry? Beer companies?

You know, I'm not convinced that the legalization will do as much good as expected. There have been many references to legal pot killing the black market. A couple of points.....The pot sold at retail isn't a particular bargain, plus the taxes on it will make it less attractive. I know many people who probably won't change dealers unless there's a financial motivation. Secondly, by restricting sale to only adults, the government's created a sales niche for the black market, selling to young people who aren't eligible to buy it legally.

It's ironic that even though growers have known for months about the impending change in marijauna's legal status, nobody seems prepared with adequate stock to meet demand, and a plan for legal sales outlets. Lots of sellers are already finding stocks are depleted after only one day of legal sales. It seems like there's an unspoken, tacit agreement that people may have to rely of the black market for some period of time until the entire production process is up and running, and stable.

I realize that as the largest country in the world to have accepted legalization, Canada's going face some unexpected issues.....But I personally think the whole thing hasn't been thought through and we're heading into this with issues like impaired driving not addressed, regulations that are all over the map from province to province, and health issues that haven't been resolved. We're now hearing that Colorado saw significant increases in emergent care traffic.....Didn't anybody in Canada consider whether our health care system can accommodate the health and social issues that would follow?

And, by the way, I still think that pot-related news has become a pain in the butt. It's time to get back in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    impaired driving not addressed...
    Yep, huge issue- and huge double standard

Harder to police for sure...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

The Governor of New Jersey is talking about legalizing- it is scary to me at how many people just can't wait for that to happen.