Thread: What's in our future?

What's in our future?

I'm wondering where we're headed.

I'm sure that most people active in the guitar discussion pages have gleaned enough information to know that the GearTalk forums are now owned by the corporate entity that runs The Gear Page.

There's been lots of down time that resulted from changing servers, and more recently TDPRI and StratTalk are down for software upgrades. What I've noticed is that most of the GearTalk forums have a notice posted by Alex that similar down-time/software will be happening. As far as I can see, only AxeTalk and FenderTalk don't have that type of notice posted. Does that mean that these forums are so low in volume that they don't warrant software upgrades, or is there a chance they're on the chopping block?

I wish we could get some feedback about what's happening from Alex or Rob, but they don't seem to be communicative in the way we're used to dealing with Paul.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Ah, the future of the forum itself--I see.

I hope it sticks around

We may be small--but we are powerful.

I like it for the size.

I am on larger ones & medium ones--and they all have their pros & cons.

But I come here the most
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I also prefer the small size here/.....

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I also prefer the small size here/.....
    Yeah, me too. What concerns me is that if this forum isn't a significant revenue producer,and it's got limited traffic (the site claims 24 active members at this time), I can envision some bean-counter deciding our fate.

In the days that all the various GearTalk sites have been down for the migration and software updates, I visited a lot of other sites. A lot of them I'm a member of but normally visit only once in a while, and I found three new ones that were intriguing. But, as Dorothy said, "There's no place like home"

Well the three of us & KC have been the most active recently--but some others pop in from time to time.

I am on other forums with way more active members--but I visit & post most often here.
    It would be a shame to pull the plug
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

For me this is home..
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I wouldn't be so worried about the plug being pulled- I don't think that this forum is that expensive to keep up and running

Well, I assume we've dodged the bullet, at least this time.....Our technical work, whether it's server or software, appears to be complete.

I have to confess, I'm really missing Paul. He could always be counted on to respond to inquiries, keep us posted on what was going on, and show some awareness of the feelings expressed by forumites. When I read the posts lately on the other GearTalk forums, there seems to be some dissatisfaction with the lack of communication from the new management.

Anyway, glad we're still here......

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post

Anyway, glad we're still here......
    You & me both